Would You Buy A Brand New Car Or Consider A Used Car???????

Reaction score
Country
Palau
Things have moved on during the last 20 years or so.
Hardly any cars rust.
Cars look the same even after about 15 years, EG Ford Fiesta. Unless you
know your cars, from the outside you will not be able to tell. The Mini is another, the BMW, it's grown in size but to me looks the same and the only way I can tell if one is 15 years old or a year old from a distance is via the reg plate.

Also, leasing or other schemes have come along which I hardly know anything about as we have never leased/HP a car always paid for with cash IE bought outright.

Owning a brand new car, especially one you have often thought about when you was younger is
something that a pre-reg/used car can never match IMO. Once you got that car/s, then you start thinking on the next step up.

We've wasted too much cash on cars and may consider the next car being one owner and privately owned not one owner and ran by a rental firm. Low miles sub 8k for 12 months old to about 10 for a 14-ish month old car.

ATM, the market on some cars is that you are paying more than the RRP on a one-year-old used car than a brand new one because of shortages. A good example is that one of my siblings sold a top of the range mini suv, Porsche Macan and actually got more for it than what they purchased it for about 30 months ago.

When markets settle, We may consider a one-year old S Class Coupe. However, undecided atm.

Cars last a lot longer than 20 or so years ago and as I said, I've not really seen rust on cars that are about 20 year old or newer unless they've had poor crash repairs.

My OH said the best time to buy a used car when it is about 24 months old and even a better time at three years old but that is too old for me as we intend to keep them for up to three years.

Btw, me, my OH, my ex, our children, parents, and siblings all have automatics as so much more relaxing and these days with EV's they are sort of automatic anyways I think but EV's are not for us ATM.

If we were to be used, it goes without saying that it has to be immaculate, from a main dealer, and 101% smells free.

Sincerely yours.

:) :)

PS: My first brand new cars was a Ford Cortina/V6/Ghia/Auto (got a discount as an uncle worked i their research dept) as it was hard to get the colour black those days in good condition and everyone said it was an old mans car but I loved it kept her for 4 years and started buying used again but last 14/15 years brand new cars only, easy to step up than down I guess

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Btw, when we have bought our brand new cars, they are supplied by the main dealer but we go via brokers.
NB: We only pay the deposit via CC to the main dealer and NOT brokers. Then we pay via bank transfer on the day the car is delivered or we pick up from the main dealer of that particular marque. NB: We NEVER pay money to a third party.

Most dealers and main dealers are franchises and often a group may own several different marques/franchises. I think MB have their own network I was told by a sales rep and then you have franchises owned by different groups.

Do your own research before you part with a large amount of your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've wasted too much cash on cars and may consider the next car being one owner and privately owned not one owner and ran by a rental firm.

ATM, the market on some cars is that you are paying more than the RRP on a one-year-old used car than a brand new one because of shortages. A good example is that one of my siblings sold a top of the range mini suv, Porsche Macan and actually got more for it than what they purchased it for about 30 months ago.
A better example would be your own personal experience. I distinctly remember you bragging only a few months ago that you and your husband had paid more for a secondhand Range Rover than a new one costs because there was a year wait for a new one or has that slipped your memory?

The pic of the car in my avatar is the type of car we are getting next week - not brand new as massive w/l but we are paying more than the rrp for a pre-reg car - its supply and demand and we demand we get one in a few days as opposed to a year plus, fact!

I've told you before - you have to have a good memory to be a liar.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The moment you sign that piece of paper for a brand new car is the moment it loses up to 20% of it's sale price. You don't even need to drive it off the forecourt to have lost value.

Things have moved on during the last 20 years or so.
Hardly any cars rust.
Cars look the same even after about 15 years, EG Ford Fiesta. Unless you
know your cars, from the outside you will not be able to tell. The Mini is another, the BMW, it's grown in size but to me looks the same and the only way I can tell if one is 15 years old or a year old from a distance is via the reg plate.

Also, leasing or other schemes have come along which I hardly know anything about as we have never leased/HP a car always paid for with cash IE bought outright.

Owning a brand new car, especially one you have often thought about when you was younger is
something that a pre-reg/used car can never match IMO. Once you got that car/s, then you start thinking on the next step up.

We've wasted too much cash on cars and may consider the next car being one owner and privately owned not one owner and ran by a rental firm. Low miles sub 8k for 12 months old to about 10 for a 14-ish month old car.

When markets settle, We may consider a one-year old S Class Coupe. However, undecided atm.

Cars last a lot longer than 20 or so years ago and as I said, I've not really seen rust on cars that are about 20 year old or newer unless they've had poor crash repairs.

My OH said the best time to buy a used car when it is about 24 months old and even a better time at three years old but that is too old for me as we intend to keep them for up to three years.

Btw, me, my OH, my ex, our children, parents, and siblings all have automatics as so much more relaxing and these days with EV's they are sort of automatic anyways I think but EV's are not for us ATM.

If we were to be used, it goes without saying that it has to be immaculate, from a main dealer, and 101% smells free.

Sincerely yours.

:) :)

PS: My first brand new cars was a Ford Cortina/V6/Ghia/Auto (got a discount as an uncle worked i their research dept) as it was hard to get the colour black those days in good condition and everyone said it was an old mans car but I loved it kept her for 4 years and started buying used again but last 14/15 years brand new cars only, easy to step up than down I guess

What kind of car/ cars do you own?

I generally buy cars 2nd hand at around 3-4 years old when the price stabilises into its natural depreciation in value.

It's all relative to things like your income and/or the importance you put on things like cars. Someone on average wage (or less) might have a car on £400 pm lease and a millionaire might trundle around in a 15 year old Fiesta.

I've bought new in the past (twice) got good broker deals. Now, I do much less miles so buying a brand new car makes zero sense. Leasing has never appealed to me. When I'm forced to change my current car (14 year old Seat) I'll prob go for something 2-3 years old with a £20k max budget and will buy it the traditional way. It'll hopefully keep me going for another decade or so.

If I had the money to burn e.g. much higher salary or won lotto, a nice car would be my luxury thing and yes, in that scenario I'd buy new and change every 2-3 years or might even lease. As I say it all depends on your financial circumstances and the importance you put on cars.

I've only ever bought 2nd hand, and always spent as much as I can afford. My car ownership is as follows (cannot remember early years or prices):

VW Golf, bought with cash in 2001/2. No idea how much (probably under £1000), I sold it for £300.
Vauxhall Astra, 2004/5, no idea of price, probably around £3000
Chevy Laccetti Estate, 2009 (just after 2nd child born, needed a bigger car), paid about £5000 (got £700 for the Astra)
Ford Focus Estate, 2021, paid £7000. Looked at many smaller cars but space was rubbish in all, so went for an estate again. Good on speed bumps too.

I am hoping the Ford will be my final petrol car, ie I can get 10 years out of it and hopefully used EVs will be reliable and cheap enough by the time they stop making petrol cars.

I've only ever bought 2nd hand, and always spent as much as I can afford. My car ownership is as follows (cannot remember early years or prices):

VW Golf, bought with cash in 2001/2. No idea how much (probably under £1000), I sold it for £300.
Vauxhall Astra, 2004/5, no idea of price, probably around £3000
Chevy Laccetti Estate, 2009 (just after 2nd child born, needed a bigger car), paid about £5000 (got £700 for the Astra)
Ford Focus Estate, 2021, paid £7000. Looked at many smaller cars but space was rubbish in all, so went for an estate again. Good on speed bumps too.

I am hoping the Ford will be my final petrol car, ie I can get 10 years out of it and hopefully used EVs will be reliable and cheap enough by the time they stop making petrol cars.
I'm thinking along the same lines. If my Seat lasts me another year or two there'll definitely be no shame to it. I'll then buy another combustion engine car, probably petrol even though I've had diesels for the past 18 or so years. I'll then run that for a decade give or take, by which time as you say if EVs are still the way things are going, infrastructure etc will be better.

If you can, buy a 6-month-old ex demo car, well looked after and usually fully loaded.

However, if you shop around, you may be pleasantly surprised that you can get a brand spanking new one from a broker, some are in stock and others on order by the dealer. Dealers meet targets and get bonuses, fact. Therefore if you got the timing right and get it to register/arrive end of March very early April, you can even before 2nd hand values shot up, get a brand new car that is cheaper than pre-reg, we did, fact.

PS - had a quick look arounf three brokers one of whom we use - discounts are lower as expected due to car shortages but still worth looking at a broker if you are considering pre-reg. Not sure re Fords/Vauxhalss etc but if you are looking at MB/Merc/BMW/Volvo etc you can still get several k's off a brand new car where as going direct to a dealer, especially MB, they used to give you next to nothing off cert models.

Does your family all buy their Bentleys new or used? :)

The ones they have atm, one is brand new and the other is pre-loved and was the car of some famous person that hardly drove the thing.

Another member of the family had the Arnange, had all the toys, they bought that pre-loved and sold that last year.
Thanks. :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back