Buying an Audi

I like the 1980's 100 Avant, massive estate body. Not sure if you could have a Quattro version.

Sponsored Links
For such a low annual mileage petrol is a must.
Do your research...most modern cars have many design faults some of which are extreme and very costly.
Audi are quite happy to cover up problems....VW group have had many, German engineering is a myth.
For example, Google the oil burning issue, and check out the owners clubs for the real problems.

Sponsored Links
A very Happy New Year to you all.

My wife and I are thinking of buying either an Audi A4 or A6 within the next 18 months. We don’t use the family car too much since my wife & I use public transport to get to and from work, we would do approx. 6000 mile per year. We have 2 teenage kids and the car would be for the family.

Apart from price and size, what other things would we need to consider whether to buy an Audi A4 or A6? What size and type of engine should we look for? How old should the car be? Is buying a car with 50k on the clock already a bit excessive?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I don't think I've ever bought a car with under 50k miles on it because I'm not the kind to get mugged by a forecourt dealer, but at the same time, buying an Audi will cost you a lot of money regardless of milage.

I'd rather buy a skoada, much based around the same design as Audi (same parent), only the name still rings in a lot of peoples ears as being a gutless rotbox so can be had for much less.

i say yes to that
my 1.4Tdi does 60 to the gallon just going to tesco and parts are cheap...even though they are vag numbered
road tax £30 last service and mot £114
and like the JW at your door..skoda doors do shut...its a golf underneath and a shkoda on top
mines is the level 3 and full of goodies

A tour of the online Czech-English dictionaries shows that Škoda, when starting with a capital means: “Too bad!,” whereas if you swap it out for a lower-case “š,” the meaning changes to “damage, harm, detriment and injury.” The first is a noun, the second is an interjection, like the famous German-derived gesundheit! that sometimes used in the US.

The name actually comes from founder Emil Škoda, who first branded the military equipment he built to help keep Austro-Hungarian empire together at the turn of the 19th century in this way, then merged with the bicycle works of the Laurin and Klement, in 1924, to pave the way for what the brand is today.

love the little bird on the arrow

cheers
geofski[/QUOTE]

+1 to everybody who says don't buy diseasel.

And take a trip to your nearest Cargiant type mega-dealer, not necessarily to buy, or even to test drive, but you and family can try clambering in and out of the A4 and A6, back and front, and then try the equivalent Merc and BMW alternatives.

I was all set to buy an A6 estate until I did that, and then I decided an E-Class was a much better bet.

And seriously - they may be built in the same factory, but VW/Audi/Skoda are not the same. Maybe fairly close if you are buying a new one, but look at 50-80K mile 5+ year old ones and you'll see that they really are not the same.

Oh, absolutely.

So you then go and buy one of the used ones which come onto the market when their company gives them a new car, or the PCP lease expires. We'll soon start to see a lot of the latter chickens coming home to roost, driving prices down.

They will have been properly maintained, an Audi/BMW/Merc/etc with 50-60-70K on the clock which it acquired tooling up and down motorways at low revs will be barely run-in.

Only problem is that 99.999% of them will be diseasels, or those run-a-mile Merc hybrids.

+1 to everybody who says don't buy diseasel.

And take a trip to your nearest Cargiant type mega-dealer, not necessarily to buy, or even to test drive, but you and family can try clambering in and out of the A4 and A6, back and front, and then try the equivalent Merc and BMW alternatives.

I was all set to buy an A6 estate until I did that, and then I decided an E-Class was a much better bet.

And seriously - they may be built in the same factory, but VW/Audi/Skoda are not the same. Maybe fairly close if you are buying a new one, but look at 50-80K mile 5+ year old ones and you'll see that they really are not the same.

"My mate said get a Merc so naturally I did what he said".

I mean it's seats and a steering wheel, how are they not the same?

Looking at a c class Merc (admittedly some years ago), and the only person who could have sat in the back would have been Sir Douglas Bader.

Sponsored Links
Back