Buying an Audi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A very Happy New Year to you all.

My wife and I are thinking of buying either an Audi A4 or A6 within the next 18 months. We don’t use the family car too much since my wife & I use public transport to get to and from work, we would do approx. 6000 mile per year. We have 2 teenage kids and the car would be for the family.

Apart from price and size, what other things would we need to consider whether to buy an Audi A4 or A6? What size and type of engine should we look for? How old should the car be? Is buying a car with 50k on the clock already a bit excessive?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Blimey, go and test drive them.

The A6 is larger, and will be juicier; the A4 being smaller, may cramp the kids in the back a little. Can you park the A6 in your road or garage, and will you **** the neighbors of in such a large car. Most A4s come with a 2 litre engine, and the A6 has a 2.8 I think as standard. 6000 miles a year on a 50K car will take you about 6 to 8 years before the car starts getting iffy, and may well go longer, but you've no idea how well it's been treated so far.

So, are you after more of a a limo, or do you really want a soft top A4.

The A4 has all you'll need......loads of engine choices from 1.6 up to 3.2 litre, diesel or petrol.
6k miles per year doesn't merit diesel, find one that has had a timing belt change as its expensive on these.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Get a 335d bout 12 months old. Indicators activated as standard (y)

What's the budget? Petrol or diesel? Equivalent Skoda is nearly as good and much cheaper.

Skoda Superb, or the Ocatvia?. I used to drive a VW passat, and it was fun throwing that round london, before all the speed cameras that is.

The Daf variomatics are very nice and much better value than those awful german cars:ROFLMAO:

To my mind, Skodas are miles better value.

I used to have a top-end 02 Octavia Estate TDI with extras. It cost £15K new. I was getting my lunch at a supermarket when the driver of an Audi estate (belonging to the local Audi dealer) parked next to me remarked that if my car had an Audi badge on the front, it would cost nearly twice as much!

We bought a Honda FR-V in 2009. 3+3 layout which was great then and for a few years after. But now, the seating is a bit cramped in the front middle seat for a leggy teenager.
Go for as big a car as you can afford.
If you live in a place badly affected by ice and snow in winter, consider 4 x 4.

We have done 115K in the Honda since the beginning of December 2009, so our choice of diesel was justified. Probs better with petrol @ 6K pa.

Don't know your budget, but I would go for a Superb if you can afford it. Hatch or estate, they have limo legroom in the rear and a massive boot.

I wouldn't worry too much about mileage, as long as the car has a FSH. I mean, plan how many years you are going to keep it. Multiply that by 6K. 5 years? 30K, added to a 50K car: 80K, still not excessively high these days.

All the cars bar 2 I ever owned went round the clock and then some. One went 2+ times round and another 160K. One I bought was a Montego TDI estate with a Perkins engine, a bit agricultural, but tough as old boots. I bought it at 100, sold it at 180K. The engine went on to give good service in a long boat.

A 14 plate Superb TDI Greenline Estate with 45K is around £10K.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710270702647?model=SUPERB&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=SKODA&postcode=wv113ba&sort=sponsored&maximum-mileage=50000&price-from=500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1

If you need 4 x 4, Yeti with 34K is good at £7.5K:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708258670138?make=SKODA&radius=1500&drivetrain=Four Wheel Drive&maximum-mileage=50000&price-from=500&sort=price-asc&model=YETI&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=wv113ba&page=1

Or diesel 4 x 4 Octavia with 32K at £8K:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711251580804?sort=price-asc&radius=1500&postcode=wv113ba&maximum-mileage=50000&drivetrain=Four Wheel Drive&make=SKODA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&model=OCTAVIA&price-from=500&page=1

Cheaper Octavia with 34K at 4.5K:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712132021686?sort=price-asc&radius=1500&postcode=wv113ba&maximum-mileage=50000&drivetrain=Front Wheel Drive&make=SKODA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&model=OCTAVIA&price-from=500&page=1

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back