Car insurance - what happens at night?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were driving home from the theatre on Friday, when we came across th aftermath of a 2 car collision. An older lady was wandering around, complaining of chest pains, so we got her to sit in th front of my mates car. Her son in law who was driving then phoned the Admiral 24 hours helpline for assistance. It appeared that the other car had been on the wrong side coming around a sweeping bend. They told him to phone back the next day. They had 2 elderly passengers, including the aforementioned lady.

Ultimately, she was okay, and her "injuries" were adjudged by medics to be only severe seat belt bruising - they offered to take her alone in to the ambulance taking away the other driver, but there "home" hospital was about 35 miles away. The medics cancelled the other ambulance and told them to get a taxi.

This has really got me thinking - we all try to get a competitive insurance quote, and we know that cost should be balanced against service provided. Without really having considered it before, I blithely assumed that the insurance co would have arranged recovery to an approved garage, and provided transport of some sort to get home. I don't know who arranged recovery in this case, probably the police as a main road was partially blocked. When my wife wrote off our car, we called the AA (?), but that was about 20 years ago They were only about 35 miles from home, but could easily be 300!

So, is the above the average experience?

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, I can't answer your question. :oops:
But I am reminded of an episode of 'Traffic Cops'??? when a brand new car was written off.
There was a small accident, and a lady was shaken up, an onlooker who stopped (totally unrelated to the incident), took her to his car and sat her down.
When the ambulance crew arrived, she complained of back pain (for what was a small shunt).
The fire crew cut the roof off the completely undamaged, brand new car, to extracate her! :eek:
The car owner seemed quite unphased by the whole incident! :confused:

I'm sorry, I can't answer your question. :oops:
But I am reminded of an episode of 'Traffic Cops'??? when a brand new car was written off.
There was a small accident, and a lady was shaken up, an onlooker who stopped (totally unrelated to the incident), took her to his car and sat her down.
When the ambulance crew arrived, she complained of back pain (for what was a small shunt).
The fire crew cut the roof off the completely undamaged, brand new car, to extracate her! :eek:
The car owner seemed quite unphased by the whole incident! :confused:

HaHa. Funnily enough, I commented to my mate that I hope she doesn’t start to complain about whiplash. They have a big 2/3 month old EV Mustang costing a bit over £42k.
I could see it being altered to a convertible.

:confused:
None of the four in the “victims” car mentioned any neck or back pain despite both cars being written off. The car was struck at the nearside front corner and the front half of the passenger door caved in. Massive damage in a smallish car.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Police arrange recovery through an approved agent, insurance pays for it.

..."she was okay, and her "injuries" were adjudged by medics to be only severe seat belt bruising"...

I was re-ended last September by a young kid behind who hit me at around 35mph just as I had almost stopped. Did the usual exchange of names, insurers etc then I took the day off as wasn't sure if my car was fit to drive and I was a bit shook up. Contacted GP for advice and was told to go and get an x-ray because my shoulder felt a little tender. X-ray didn't appear to show any damage but advised to rest it and so took a second day off and then it was the weekend. Went in to work on the Monday as I was feeling fine and was sitting at my desk when my wife phoned to say she was coming to get me immediately to bring me home. The consultant radiologist had phoned my home to say he had reviewed my x-ray and that I had a chip fracture to my right clavicle, (collar bone), and needed to firmly support it in a sling for 2-3 weeks.

I'm surprised the big man of t'village hasn't steamed in on this post and corrected everybody. Legend has it that one of the jewels in his 120 million pound business empire is that he owns a recovery company with a police contract. Mind you, he was the one that started that particular legend...........

steamed in on this post and corrected everybody.

You clearly suffer the delusion that binds MOT testers with the likes of the traffic wardens. You thrive on the negative results.

You have never complimented a well presented vehicle, much like the traffic warden has never uttered the words "well parked".

You "steamed in on this post and corrected everybody", and you don't see the irony.

The post was over 24 hours old before I 'steamed in'. I corrected nobody. I do see the irony of how you identified as the big man of t' village though without offering one scrap of help to the OP.

Sponsored Links
Back