Car crash - claiming for expenses

It might be worth you asking (insisting/even via a solicitor if necc') the car park for a copy of the CCTV.
If push comes to shove the actions (subsequent actions following the damage) of the other driver may be important.
If she was unaware of the incident, she could claim that in any defence. Any other potentially noisy passengers could also be important.
However, if she got out of the vehicle to inspect for any damage and then drove off, there was clear intent to avoid any penalty.

Now insurance settlements are hardly likely to worry about it. But in any potential court action the judge will take a very dim view of someone who is clearly aware that they've done something wrong and intentionally drives off to avoid any penalty.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would just pursue the police to ensure they are pressing criminal charges (whatever they may be).

You will probably spend more time trying to get compensation for the time spent fixing the issue.

All I know is that very early on in my driving career, I got rear ended by a van and the bloke wanted to settle outside the insurance as he had a huge excess.

Off I went to get quotes, all from back-street garages and even the cheapest he claimed was a "total rip-off".

We were only talking a few hundred quid, as against a few thousand for his multi-vehicle fleet excess.

"Never mind, I said, I'll go through the insurance.."

I could hear him saying "No, wait..." as I put the receiver down.

All I know is that very early on in my driving career, I got rear ended by a van and the bloke wanted to settle outside the insurance as he had a huge excess.

Off I went to get quotes, all from back-street garages and even the cheapest he claimed was a "total rip-off".

We were only talking a few hundred quid, as against a few thousand for his multi-vehicle fleet excess.

"Never mind, I said, I'll go through the insurance.."

I could hear him saying "No, wait..." as I put the receiver down.

I like it!

Sponsored Links
I had similar, the person drove off. The reg number was taken by passer by.
The police contacted the owner, who was not the driver. He would tell the police who the driver was (it was thought an uninsured son). The police prosecuted the owner, I then claimed on my insurance & the insurance company had a case against the owner as the police had won the prosecution.
I was not out of pocket, nor did I lose any ncd.

Thanks all,

I told the policy holder (the husband!) how much it was going to cost, and he said he would like to go through his insurance.

I told my insurer this morning who said I must still return an accident form to them, but I was OK to contact his insurer directly. I have done so, and they are actually being very good, took all my info., and said as long as they get an admission of blame from the other party they will get everything sorted without having to proxy everything through my insurer.

If they get it done nice and quickly, without any issues, I may just not bother claiming expenses - I mostly just want my car repaired!

:)

I'm confused, Your claiming against her insurance, not yours. You surely didnt need to involve your insurers at all :confused:

I'm confused, Your claiming against her insurance, not yours. You surely didnt need to involve your insurers at all :confused:

When I was involved in a not-at-fault accident, I contacted my insurance company to claim. Isn't that the correct procedure? It never occurred to me to contact the other party's insurance.

As I understand it, you provide all the pertinent information to your insurers and then they fight your case with the other party's insurers.

Yes I suppose normally you would pursue via your own insurer, maybe it's more flexible here in Jersey; I know where the insurers office is and it's a small company. They seemed quite OK with dealing direct....

Standard procedure AFAIK to claim via your insurance co, then they claim it back if the other party is at fault.

Sponsored Links
Back