Motor Insurance Claim, Advice required.

Diyisfun said:
Softus said:
If your policy is comprehensive, then I believe your insurance company has no choice but to indemnify you and pay for your car repairs.
I am fully comp, but do want to claim on my insurance if it cannot be claimed back. Yes I have no claims protection, for what that is worth.
You have insurance, and claiming won't cost you anything, and yet you don't "want" to claim.

Your life is obviously a lot longer than mine. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Diyisfun said:
You have insurance, and claiming won't cost you anything, and yet you don't "want" to claim.

Funny thing about no claims 'protection'.

Your bonus percentage may not change, but the starting premium often goes up, so you do pay extra... ;)

Softus said:
Diyisfun said:
Softus said:
If your policy is comprehensive, then I believe your insurance company has no choice but to indemnify you and pay for your car repairs.
I am fully comp, but do want to claim on my insurance if it cannot be claimed back. Yes I have no claims protection, for what that is worth.

Your life is obviously a lot longer than mine. :rolleyes:

Maybe you havnt claimed on your policy.
Apart from the excess there is as the post above from 'ellal'

So, get the car fixed and claim your uninsured losses from either the other party or the MIB.

And if you have legal cover with your policy, get your insurance company to do the work that you're paying them to do.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
So, get the car fixed and claim your uninsured losses from either the other party or the MIB.

And if you have legal cover with your policy, get your insurance company to do the work that you're paying them to do.

I want to make certain that I can get paid, hence the work Im doing now.

I have spoke to insurance re legal cover they state this is not covered, its only covered for getting the excess back, I cant claim because the driver is unknown from the driver.

Diyisfun said:
I want to make certain that I can get paid, hence the work Im doing now.
There are only three ways of getting the car repaired without paying:

1. Find the driver, and successfully claim from him or his insurer.
2. Claim from your insurer.

Note that you won't successfully claim from the MIB for the car repairs because you have comprehensive insurance.

I have spoke to insurance re legal cover they state this is not covered
That's a pity, but it doesn't stop you using your indemnity as it was designed to be used.

its only covered for getting the excess back
Then why not use it to get the excess back. If the insurer finds the driver then they've done the job for you. Bear in mind that they have more resources at their disposal than you do.

I cant claim because the driver is unknown from the driver.
This is one of the scenarios for which the MIB was created. See this:
http://www.mib.org.uk/MIB/en/Claims/UK/Untraced/Default.htm

... which says:

How to make a claim under the Untraced Drivers' Agreement

The Untraced Drivers' Agreement 2003 includes compensation for property damage resulting from accidents occurring on or after 14 February 2003.

Please take the following steps before making a claim:

Make a formal report of the incident to the Police, the Agreement requires you to do this within 14 days of the accident occurring or for damage to property within 5 days.

Make enquiries to see if you can identify the driver, check any given details with the Police, try making contact with the motorist in person, and/or tracing the registered keeper via DVLA and contacting him.

If you cannot identify the driver make inquiries to see of you can identify the vehicle involved through any registration number you have been given or any passer-by has recorded.

Contact your own insurers. Your insurance policy requires all accidents to be reported and your insurers may be able to trace the other party's or his/her insurers. Your insurer also has access to the Motor Insurance Database which may contain details of the motorist's insurers.

Claims for property damage must be made within 9 months of the accident date and a £300 excess applies.

Back