Insurance claim

B

Bodd

I hit a car in my van. It was so light I never noticed it.

A week later I get a call from a fella telling me he's caught it on cctv..

Yes you could see the car move I titch.

I suspect the damage into his wing is not all my doing.

Can I despute it and being it's not a massive claim, will my insurance company just pay out or possibly back me up.

Bod

Ps I've had a rubbish Christmas

Sponsored Links
Have you got dash cam or video/ stills from the the time?

If you don't have any evidence, it will be awkward and even with evidence you may struggle.

I had an accident where my Xantia rolled down a hill after I parked it up. It hit another parked car square on. It was facing downhill and the other car was facing uphill. I took photos of the front of my car and the front of the other car showing no visible damage to either vehicle. When the claim came in, the insurance report showed the parts replaced: front bumper, lower valance, grille, numberplate, radiator, headlights and bonnet.
I rang my insurance engineer, incredulous and asked him how they could claim for all those damaged items when, quite clearly on my photo they were intact and undamaged. The claim was accepted and paid in full......

I hit a car in my van. It was so light I never noticed it.

A week later I get a call from a fella telling me he's caught it on cctv..

Yes you could see the car move I titch.

I suspect the damage into his wing is not all my doing.

Can I despute it and being it's not a massive claim, will my insurance company just pay out or possibly back me up.

Bod

Ps I've had a rubbish Christmas
Someone ran into the back of my estate..no visible damage outside But tailgate was all bust inside

Sponsored Links
Also even if you report the damage to your insurance company, as you are supposed to do according to their T&Cs, it will affect your no claims. I am fighting a claim from the landlords of a retail park where a security barrier fell on my car and damaged the bonnet to the extent that I have to have a new bonnet. I thought rather than go throught the hassle of chasing the landlords I would let my insurance company (Admiral) deal with it. When I rang them to report that occurance I was told that I would lose 13 years of my 18 years no claims bonus. I have now gone back to chasing the landlords but the mere fact that I have reported the occurance to my insurance company will, PROBABLY, mean my premium will go up.

Pete, your premium will go up next year. As soon as you make contact with the insurance company a note is put onto your file. The same goes with house insurance.

Andy

I just got my renewal after having a non fault claim.

It was £686 up from £460. I used the comparison site with the claim added and got quotes starting at £471.

I just got my renewal after having a non fault claim.

It was £686 up from £460. I used the comparison site with the claim added and got quotes starting at £471.
Pretty normal anyway that - there is no such thing as loyalty with insurance providers.

So even if your car is damaged and its not your fault your insurance still goes up.

Any call to the insurers means you pay.

They rely on the 'good service' element to stop you shopping around. They all do it. They assume that because they looked after you during your claim, you'll pay a premium to stay, because you fear that going elsewhere will be risky.

Yep. I went into the back of an insurance scammer on a roundabout. We both moved onto the roundabout but he stopped suddenly and I knocked into him while double checking it was still clear to the right.

Collision was so light that there was no damage to my car at all, not even a scratch. His rear bumper cracked.

Next I hear, his car was a write-off and he has a back injury (his back was very much OK while he was skipping around the car to exchange details). I told my insurance company it was obviously a scam, but my premium still went up!

Also even if you report the damage to your insurance company, as you are supposed to do according to their T&Cs, it will affect your no claims. I am fighting a claim from the landlords of a retail park where a security barrier fell on my car and damaged the bonnet to the extent that I have to have a new bonnet. I thought rather than go throught the hassle of chasing the landlords I would let my insurance company (Admiral) deal with it. When I rang them to report that occurance I was told that I would lose 13 years of my 18 years no claims bonus. I have now gone back to chasing the landlords but the mere fact that I have reported the occurance to my insurance company will, PROBABLY, mean my premium will go up.

Are you being stripped of your 13 years no claims for certain ? Because that doesn't sound at all right to me. Keep in mind you can challenge the decision of an insurance company via their onbudsman

Seems the only really viable option to avoid the hassle of insurance is to either learn to do repair work yourself, not have a vehicle at all, or learn to lie through your teeth, because being honest, especially in this country, is likely to land you in a lot of hot water. All the more painful if you are in fact honest.

You would think that competition would drive down prices. But then did they factor in Moral Hazard?

Sponsored Links
Back