Car insurance payouts, whose??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My car was hit by a third party at the beginning of the month, it was decided last week that it was a write off.

My insurance company are using a claims management company to sort it out, however, I have been told that I have to wait for payment to come from the third parties insurer...

Is this correct, seeing as I pay for fully comp insurance, should my insurer, or their agent pay me, then claim it back, or does that only work if its a repair job?

Sponsored Links
When your getting paid out on a write off, you need to wait for the third party's insurance company to except responsibility.
This can take some time, even if it's a clear cut case, they like to drag their heels and as they are all part and parcel of the same carry on, bug-ger all gets down about it.
It once took me 15 weeks to get paid out and my car was parked legally and trashed by a lorry and was recorded on CCTV.
You should de able to claim for a courtesy car for about 5 weeks.

When your getting paid out on a write off, you need to wait for the third party's insurance company to except responsibility.
This can take some time, even if it's a clear cut case, they like to drag their heels and as they are all part and parcel of the same carry on, bug-ger all gets down about it.
It once took me 15 weeks to get paid out and my car was parked legally and trashed by a lorry and was recorded on CCTV.
You should de able to claim for a courtesy car for about 5 weeks.

That wasn't the case with me. I had an accident on a Wednesday (some nutter in a Shogun came flying over a blind summit on a country road and wrote my Primera off, his was a write off too) The claim was settled over the phone and I had the cheque on the Saturday, only three days later.
At no time did he accept blame, in fact, he said he was stationary and that I had hit him.
That was with Aviva.

so, so far it depends on the company...

mine is pretty clear cut, they pulled onto a roundabout, I was still on it, I had right of way, they have admitted fault.

Ill just have to keep badgering then...

Sponsored Links
Surely an Insurance company is not going to pay out until the responsible party has admitted fault.
Mine was clear cut.
My car had been parked legally on the Queens Highway, in the same spot for over eight hours, then a delivery wagon reversed into it, in broad daylight, no other vehicles on the road and it was caught on camera (CCTV)
Still took many an argument and 15 weeks to be paid out.
The brokers didn't want to get involved and kept fobbing me off with shyte, and the underwriters would do nothing, until the third party had filled all the forms in and admitted responsibility.
Got the usual carp from Trading Standards and The Financial Ombudsman Service, when I complained about it.
Even contacted VOSA, they to wanted firk all to do with it.

but isnt this what I have the fully comp for?

if it had been repairable, it would have been in and repaired and returned to me, the insurance comapny would then pay for the repair, and get re-imbursed for the repairs from the 3rd party.

If it isnt, what exactly is "fully comp??"

Your contract is with your insurance company, they should pay out to you. It's then up to them to claim that money back from the 3rd party.

I agree, if everything is legal and above board, if your fully comp you should be paid out straight away,
but insurance companies are a law to themselves, they make my blood boil!

as you have fully comp you can demand they foot the bill now, and claim the money back, however if there is an issue with them not getting their money back the claim goes against your policy which can effect your NCB, and you will need to pay the excess (its the same as being whacked by an uninsured driver, you need to claim your own policy and take a hit on the NCB) tell them if they dont give you good service you will take your business elsewhere, they wont want that as they will want to keep your custom

Tell the third party insurers that you have hired a car to use whilst the claim is being settled.

And that you will be instructing your solicitor to deal with this matter unless the claim is settled immediately.

You will be seeking the cost in relation to car hire from the 3rd party. The solicitor will also seek to recoup his costs from the 3rd party.

The insurance company will soon change their tune.

Just make sure you keep any receipts.

Hopefully if your fully comp you will have legal cover, this is the critical step as you can instruct a solicitor regardless.

Legal cover is the critical aspect.

bw
A

If your insurers are writing the car off, then they should pay you out - and then recover their costs from the third party.

If the other party was at fault, then you can insist on them paying for the repairs, in which case you would have to wait for them to admit liability

DON'T talk to the insurance company of the 3rd party insured that hit you, do it all through your own insurance company.

DON'T hire a hirecar yourself, as you are fully comp, you should have been provided with one already, if your vehicle is damaged. If they haven't, I'd be kicking off.

You are not going to be using the insurance company instructed solicitor to be taking action against your own insurance company.

Even if you are hit by someone uninsured, you should be treated better than what you report. This current era of blame and claim, ie park up illegally always, get caught once, and scream blue murder..has gone too far. It's like adults become toddlers again.

You are fully comp, someone hit you 3rd party, and deny it, as people do. YOUR insurance company should be looking after you. Courtesy car, damaged car uplifted, then it is up to them to reclaim costs back from the 3rd party. No bother for you, you need do nothing. This 'claims management company', sounds a load of tosh. YOUR insurance company pays YOU. If they are stalling, a stiff letter, stating you are insured with them, and expect payment immediately, if no reply, another letter, stating Trading Standard will be involved. (they are very good at getting the ball moving). It sounds terrible how you have been treated, but of course, only half the tale is told, and there could be other issues, that haven't been considered.

Thanks for the advice.

My insurer has provided me with a vehicle, and yes it is their engineers that have written it off.

I'm going to ring my insurer directly this evening, as most of the dealings thus far are with their claims management company.

If your car is a write off, does your insurance policy end or can the remaining time be transferred to the next car?

Many years ago, when my car was stolen, I got paid out, but the policy ended, has this changed. Probably in the small print.

why would trading standards and vosa want anything to do with it... its like dialling 999 because my car will not start...

Sponsored Links
Back