Van hire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mate hired a van in his name. Me as a named driver.
I hit another car.

Would this count as a claim against My insurance
His insurance
Or the hire companies insurance

Would I need to declare

Sponsored Links
As I understand it, it is his insurance that will sort the issue.

But you have to declare it to your insurers and that might affect your premiums. A double whammy

As I understand it, it is his insurance that will sort the issue.

But you have to declare it to your insurers and that might affect your premiums. A double whammy
On the renewal of my van the accident has come up in his name (Named driver) but not mine.

On the renewal of my van the accident has come up in his name (Named driver) but not mine.
As long as you have declared it, it is no longer your issue, your premiums may still be affected, but you might not know by how much.

Sponsored Links
Would I need to declare
Most insurance companies ask a question like this:

"In the last five years, has the driver had or caused any accidents, claims or damage involving any motor vehicle?
This includes cars, motorbikes and/or vans. Tell us about it even if you didn't claim and no matter who's fault it was".

What did you answer to this question?

Most insurance companies ask a question like this:

"In the last five years, has the driver had or caused any accidents, claims or damage involving any motor vehicle?
This includes cars, motorbikes and/or vans. Tell us about it even if you didn't claim and no matter who's fault it was".

What did you answer to this question?

It was just my renewal come through. They seemed to have picked up on my mate but not me because he hired the van.

It was just my renewal come through. They seemed to have picked up on my mate but not me because he hired the van.
So your insurance company picked up on your mate during your renewal? Why do you think that was?

So your insurance company picked up on your mate during your renewal? Why do you think that was?
Maybe because is was him who hired the van.

He's checking with them now.

Sponsored Links
Back