Van hire dispute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago we hired a van for some deliveries (on a Saturday). When we brought the van back there was no one there to check the van over.
Next thing we knew, two weeks later, our card is debited for a rather large amount. When contacting the hire company they claimed we had damaged the van, which we dispute.
We didn't receive a phone call from them when they noticed the so-called damage, nor have we received any documentation whatsoever (no damage report, not even an invoice).
Of course we have send them a fax and letter to dispute the claim, but what else is there we can do? The bank says since we gave the card details (for insurance purpose) we have to sort it with the hire company.
Call the police and report 'fraud'?

anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
A few weeks ago we hired a van for some deliveries (on a Saturday). When we brought the van back there was no one there to check the van over.
I don't know the legal side of it but I would've thought it's the company fault for not checking it over. I thought you have to sign for it to be return?

That's what we thought (and was done at other hire company a few weeks later) but since there was no one there, the least they could have done was give us a call on Monday morning when the 'discovered' the damage so we could have started a normal discussion.

If it was a credit card, claim the money back, then they can fight you for the money, rather than the other way around.

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
If it was a credit card, claim the money back, then they can fight you for the money, rather than the other way around.
We don't have credit cards (principle), was a normal bank debit card, so no 'luck' there I think but will re-contact my bank again for further options (if any?)

Can you see if you can stop it, a quick phone call should do it.

Ahh, I see a shade more tricky then. However as has been said, there should have been an inspection of the vehicle prior to you hiring it, which you sign. There should also be a checking in process when you are present again to agree any damage (if any) that may / may not have been caused.

Sounds like they're trying it on. Well actually not trying it on, it's tantamount to theft. Good luck. I don't think you'll find much help from your bank, they're unlikely to want to get involved. I think you must find out from the company exactly what damage you've alledegedly caused, and take it from there. My advice would be to do this face to face rather than on the phone.

WoodYouLike, ring the Citizens Advice Bureau - they are usually excellent at stuff like this. Hope you get some joy :D

Masona, not sure if we can, the money has been debited beginning this month.
Eddie M, originally we 'hired' the van via a courier company we used frequently (not anymore!) and were expecting an invoice from them. all our correspondences to the hire company has been sent to this courier company also in the hope they would 'interfere' or negotiate, but nothing has happend so far. I have given both companies until this Friday to get in contact with me to resolve this matter, but in hte mean time I'm trying to find ways to taek further action against them.

Brightness said:
WoodYouLike, ring the Citizens Advice Bureau - they are usually excellent at stuff like this. Hope you get some joy :D
But it is business Brightness, not sure if they could/would help us? could give a try though

In that case is your contract not with the courier company, not the hire comapny? All seems a bit messy to me! You are right CAB will not get involved in business disputes. You need to confirm who your contract is with, and then take it from there. Beat of luck, don't envy you. :(

WoodYouLike said:
Brightness said:
But it is business Brightness, not sure if they could/would help us? could give a try though
I've use them a few time and strongly recommended them, they are very good and it's free advice but they do have a donation box for their service.

Here

Sounds like a job for the Small Claims Court.

joe

joe-90 said:
Sounds like a job for the Small Claims Court.

joe

Yes but it's no good doing that if you don't know your rights. It would probably be worth a word with a solicitor first, otherwise you could just be adding to your expense.

Sponsored Links
Back