Insurance claim

Bodd.

Is there a PROMINENTLY displayed WARNING sign on the property, meaning one that can be viewed from the street??

Suggest you go there and take some [a lot of] Images from the footpath of the property???

OK how come this shall I call it " third party" image capture fell into the hands of this person who is now pursuing you for loads of dosh??

As an aside? have you seen these images? more importantly have your Insurers seen the images?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Bodd.

Is there a PROMINENTLY displayed WARNING sign on the property, meaning one that can be viewed from the street??

Suggest you go there and take some [a lot of] Images from the footpath of the property???

OK how come this shall I call it " third party" image capture fell into the hands of this person who is now pursuing you for loads of dosh??

As an aside? have you seen these images? more importantly have your Insurers seen the images?

Ken

Hello Ken

I have and it appears that I have hit his car. Very slight but its from a distance I would say 15m.
I'll go and check tomorrow if there is a sign up.. I'll do a video.

Thank you

Seems fishy to me, he waited a week before getting in touch.

How did he get your number -is your van sign written?

"Bodd's World famous Plumbing" (y)(y)

Seems fishy to me, he waited a week before getting in touch.

How did he get your number -is your van sign written?

"Bodd's World famous Plumbing" (y)(y)

Thanks Notch

My Van can be seen from the moon, its very much sign written

Sponsored Links
:cautious:

This is not LA Law.

Our local plod are actually taking action if you are a cyclist and send them your helmet cam footage of nasty motorists. The cyclists don't have signs.

Can we do the same with cyclists?

The instructions and "bumph" that came with the device states quite clearly that you MUST display the sign provided that is at one an Advert and second a "Warning" of the CCTV being captured.
You obey the laws of the country in which you use the dashcam, not the instructions of the dashcam maker.

In the UK, signage is a business requirement under specific business legislation and recordings will come under the GDPR - again, business legislation.

The insurance company will not care about signage.

The quote for the repair is just shy of £1300.

My excess is £250. I have protected no claims but the insurance company will slaughter me. This will go against my car and Van insurance. Should I bite the bullet and just pay out of my own pocket?

NO - its why you have insurance.

Yes but he insists that it's an approved dealer. Which is his right. I've not really got a leg to stand on have I .

Its not his right - you damaged his car, your liability is for a reasonable repair. He is not entitled to betterment. You could always call him out and tell him to sue you. Its time to contact your insurance company and let them handle it - your are potentially frustrating their ability to act.

Bodd, as far as I know no "Warning" sign, no claim, simple as that.

There was a protracted post on this site as regards this "legal" point.

Suggest you ask to see the "damaged vehicle" and if you can check on the notice???

Think about it? why do local Authorities post signs on lampposts as regards CCTV being captured

Ken

Any evidence, no matter how 'badly' obtained can be used in a claim. A district Judge will not throw evidence out based on technicalities, if the evidence assists with the case.

That is not to say that the operator of the CCTV may have data protection issues to deal with, giving rise to a claim, but this is irrelevant to the damage case against bodd.

It might seem reasonable to request footage before the accident as you may be able to use it to assist with an argument of pre-existing damage.

Last edited:
For £1300, I would let the insurers deal with it.

Why did he get a quote? -have you been sent a copy of the quote?

If you have an accident, you dont go and get a quote, you contact your insurer.

In any case insurers dint go to an approved dealer, many insurers have their own repair garages now.

Why couldn't you just buy it from the comparison site?
It only gave you a phone number to call. The insurance company in question doesn't have a decent website, so you have to arrange on the phone.

I don't deny I hit or damaged his car...

I poped there this morning. It a neighbours camera and I see no cctv signs.

I also believe that it's a job for the insurance company.

What I will say to him is if he let's a company I know give a quote for the repair I will pay direct to him or offer him £700 to do with how he see fit. Or I'll go through insurance and ask them to defend me as I don't believe I did the damage he says I did.

What I will say to him is if he let's a company I know give a quote for the repair I will pay direct to him or offer him £700 to do with how he see fit. Or I'll go through insurance and ask them to defend me as I don't believe I did the damage he says I did.

That seems fair to me. £700 should cover the cost of a new wing, respray etc. And its probably about or less than what it would cost you in increased premiums over the next few years. The guy has probably gone to a main dealer and got a price, or if you havent seen the quote, then its probably him just throwing a figure in the air and seeing if you bite -if he doesnt mind a ding in his wing he just pockets £1300. Its fair he should be paid as he has suffered a loss and you are prepared to recompense him for that loss, but at a fair amount not inflated.

The problem with avoiding insurance claim and dealing direct is the risk of being ripped off.

The guy has gone to fair effort to find out who did it -I presume it was a parked car in which case he must have spent time going through the cctv footage.

Odd question?

Are you sure the other driver actually had / has car insurance??

That could be the reason for him coming up with a quote?

All insurances policies state that you should never ever admit liability to the other party or anyone after an accident or on receipt of a claim. If you do you could void your cover, and diminish your position.

The thing is, unless you are legally minded, you do not even know if you are responsible for any damage. OK, you say that you did hit the other vehicle, but you don't even know if it should have been there, if it was insured, if the driver is legit etc. You going and admitting liability straight away means there is no defence to mitigate the claim.

Even if you make an offer, it should be without an admission of guilt and "without prejudice". And above all, it should "full and final" in settlement of all claims. Next thing you know after admision, and after you paying cash comes the actual insurance claim, and the extra damages. This can be up to 3 years after the event.

In any case you should be telling your insurer "for information only". That won't affect your premium.

It only gave you a phone number to call. The insurance company in question doesn't have a decent website, so you have to arrange on the phone.

That's odd for a comparison site. I've only ever seen companies with an online order process on these sites - the comparison company can't even log it for their commission unless you click through their site and place the order.

Sponsored Links
Back