Missus in hit and run car crash :(

If you haven't already experienced the scam then protected no claims bonus (NCB) works like this :

You pay a premium, lets say £1000 for fully comp' insurance. You have 9yrs NCB so you get 40% knocked off your premium which is now £600.

You have a no fault incident but the 3rd party cannot be traced, which resets your NCB to 0yrs, your premium should now be £1000 . . . But it's OK, you paid that extra to 'protect' your NCB.

Incidentally, you should double check that you're still fully insured after making a claim regardless of how much time is left on the policy.

Lets say the incident caused £2000 of damage to your car, but it's OK, you paid £1000 for fully comp' + that little bit extra to 'protect' your NCB. Next year your premium renewal has risen to £1500 but it's OK 'cos you still have 9yrs NCB so you get 40% knocked off, which makes it £900.

You're NOT havin' that, you paid extra to protect your NCB but you're still paying £300 more than last years policy & it wasn't even your fault. So you shop around don't you.

You need to double check that your 'protected' NCB is transferrable to a different broker !

This just a simplified explanation, the whole truth is much scarier.

Sponsored Links
Even if you have protected NCD you still have to list all accidents when applying for insurance with a different provider, always works in their favour.

Even if you have protected NCD you still have to list all accidents when applying for insurance with a different provider, always works in their favour.

Many don't & they don't fully realise the implications until it comes time to claim.

You can put whatever you like down on your application & they'll take your money & issue a certificate. It is only when it comes time to claim that they check the info you gave them . . . And they will find out everything.

An update, I took it to the insurance approved repairer and now regret it.

On the surface they appear professional, they text you to update you during the repairs.

They have a big new building, all the best gear, use the best paints and materials. They explain how your car gets repaired, refitted and then quality checked before being given back.

Then I collect it in the dark after work, it looks good, then I see it in daylight on the weekend and it’s a mess. The paint on the bumper is damaged round both headlights, there’s a scratch on the window trim, the badge has been stuck back on with a piece of square tape and not trimmed around the ‘M’.

I took it back and they were very apologetic, ‘this isn’t what we do’ says the boss and I ask him to personally do the quality check when it’s done.

Then I pick it up a couple of days later, again in the dark before work, he gives me a bottle of Prosecco. The car looks good and he shines his torch on the badge, window trim and bumper round the drivers side headlight.

Then weekend and daylight comes and they have only repaired the paint round 1 headlight. I go to Screwfix and open the door and see light coming between the car and wing, there’s a trim there that hasn’t been refitted and I find more scratches on the door and other window trim.

It’s going in for a 3rd time in the new year, if it’s not right then i’m going to complain to the insurance company (who have been great).

Sponsored Links
NCD is just an accounting point of view.

Which would you rather have - a 40% NCD, or a 60% one?

All that matters is the figure at the bottom right of the quote. A 60% discount off a £1000 premium is not better than 40% off a £700 one.

Transferable? Load of b****cks - the insurer who quotes knows what your accident 'incident' and claim history is, and he does not give a toss about any artificial loyalty (yeah, right) scam scheme that your previous insurer operated to get you to stay with them at each renewal.

Show them the same loyalty that they show you - never just renew, always shop around. If you go direct to a company that advertises a lot, or use comparison websites, try a broker. If you already go through a broker, get a quote through a different one.

Protected NCD is also a lie.

All it means is that on renewal, your 'NCD' is protected, but oh gosh, the premium has increased in price.

Net result: you have an accident, your renewal premium increases.

An update, I took it to the insurance approved repairer and now regret it.

On the surface they appear professional, they text you to update you during the repairs.

They have a big new building, all the best gear, use the best paints and materials. They explain how your car gets repaired, refitted and then quality checked before being given back.

Then I collect it in the dark after work, it looks good, then I see it in daylight on the weekend and it’s a mess. The paint on the bumper is damaged round both headlights, there’s a scratch on the window trim, the badge has been stuck back on with a piece of square tape and not trimmed around the ‘M’.

I took it back and they were very apologetic, ‘this isn’t what we do’ says the boss and I ask him to personally do the quality check when it’s done.

Then I pick it up a couple of days later, again in the dark before work, he gives me a bottle of Prosecco. The car looks good and he shines his torch on the badge, window trim and bumper round the drivers side headlight.

Then weekend and daylight comes and they have only repaired the paint round 1 headlight. I go to Screwfix and open the door and see light coming between the car and wing, there’s a trim there that hasn’t been refitted and I find more scratches on the door and other window trim.

It’s going in for a 3rd time in the new year, if it’s not right then i’m going to complain to the insurance company (who have been great).
I had a bike repaired in a similar way once and they'd made up the lettering for the 955i bit. Only they'd copied it off of a Daytona not a sprint. They'd also glue gunned a semi structural part of the bike back together. I took it back and they moaned about the economics of the repair, like it was my fault. Unfortunately
the repair business is so tight and competitive on margin that they are constantly looking for corners to cut.

I had a bike repaired in a similar way once and they'd made up the lettering for the 955i bit. Only they'd copied it off of a Daytona not a sprint. They'd also glue gunned a semi structural part of the bike back together. I took it back and they moaned about the economics of the repair, like it was my fault. Unfortunately
the repair business is so tight and competitive on margin that they are constantly looking for corners to cut.

No doubt the insurers make all the money.

Sponsored Links
Back