Missus in hit and run car crash :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She came out of a carpark today, drove up the road, some guy flys out of a side street, hits her and doesn’t stop. Great.

She got the numberplate and 2 witness’s but the police have since come back to her and said the car was unregistered and uninsured. They will contact the last known owner of the car.

The tyre deflated during the crash but with it being a run flat she went to the garage and they attempted to replace the valve but said that due to damage to the wheel an original valve can’t be fitted. Instead they fitted a basic rubber valve so the car would be mobile.

The insurance company want to use their approved repairer, FixAuto but online reviews for them aren’t too good but are they ever? I know a good body shop so going to take it there for a quote.

Has anyone ever been invoked in a similar accident? How did it go?

77329B3C-85CF-435C-B2D8-3BD2DCF33015.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The insurers won't bother chasing unless it's handed to them on a plate. You can insist on your own repairer but your insurer may withdraw a courtesy car. Often a decent repair shop will supply one anyway. You may find that some tiny little faggot will insinuate that it's all your wifes fault. Ignore him. He is about the same size as your big toe and has small man issues:p. Hope it pans out OK for you and glad no one was hurt.

Car was hit my a drink driver while the car was parked, as well as a hit and run. The first had a witness and a reg number, the police copied down the reg wrong and nothing was done about it. The second, like you, had no insurance and as far as I know, nothing happened to them. My insurance paid for both - the drunk driver wrote off my car. :(

I hope your Mrs is ok, and nerves calmed down now!

Sponsored Links
She’s ok thanks, nothing a bottle of red won’t sort out. It’s her birthday on Friday too :)

That’s so bloody annoying - you haven’t had that car long either. Go where you’re happy for it to be done - if you get a poor job done by your insurers, you’ll always be noticing it. Is your insurance one of those that doesn’t penalise you if you’re hit by an uninsured driver - that might save your NCD.

On the phone she said because they haven’t identified the driver I would loose the no claim and £300 excess but when I read the policy it doesn’t mention that
ED0A3DA9-0F53-445B-AB21-DAEF8665A167.png

As you've witnesses & reg I think they shouldn't make you lose your no claims. It does mention you may temporarily lose it, but should get it back ok. If they don't give it back due to their incompetence, fight it :)

The main thing is your missis is OK

I always thought that the insurance companies had a sort of organisation that payed for damage to a car from uninsured drivers they only pay out for car damage not personal injury ?

Above assumed its hit and run of course ?

I hope so, i’ve got 20years no claim and 1 claim would reduce it to 4years.

I've had something similar but not that extent of damage.

In the end I had the hard to swallow pill and paid to have it repaired. You need to toss up what's going to cost more, the cost of repair or the potential rise of your insurance premium and the reduction in value of your car should any loss category be marked on it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back