Missus in hit and run car crash :(

Trouble is, they’re past the point of no return now - even if they do pay for the repair out of their own pocket, the cats out of the bag and you will have to declare the 'incident' when they next insure and will be penalised.

Just in case the police have made a mistake, check that the vehicle was insured yourself. If it is, you can pursue it further with the insurance company. It only costs a few quid. http://m.askmid.com/mt/www.askmid.com/mobile/

Don’t understand how they can say it’s unregistered. It must be registered. How do you 'unregister' a car? If it's allegedly been sold, it’s down to the owner to notify DVLA. If that hasn’t been done, I’d be looking at the registered keeper very carefully.

Sponsored Links
She’s ok thanks, nothing a bottle of red won’t sort out. It’s her birthday on Friday too :)

Hope she enjoys her birthday... Mine tomorrow . Good luck with claim and hope she's OK

Myself and another were a witness to an accident. A white van driver hit a parked car, got out had a look and drove off. We left our details on the car windscreen and the owner contacted us both. We had to fill out a form from the insurers - quite detailed witness statement.

Well what transpired was the other witness wrote the Reg down incorrectly on his form and so the Insurer assessed there was conflicting reports and thus said there was no real way they could pursue the driver. The owner of the damaged car gave up and got it repaired himself,

Insrance companies are horrible

Insurance companies are horrible
Correct. I feel for Ian and his missus, especially as the car still has that newness novelty. The whole claim thing is pants and is skewed heavily towards the insurers not losing out. Couple that with the endless cold calls from chasing vultures starting with the inevitable.... "we understand you have had an accident recently".....for the next decade at least.

As Mot said, once the claim is in (fault or not) this will be brought up every time you have a conversation with your insurers. Awful business.

Sponsored Links
Correct. I feel for Ian and his missus, especially as the car still has that newness novelty. The whole claim thing is pants and is skewed heavily towards the insurers not losing out. Couple that with the endless cold calls from chasing vultures starting with the inevitable.... "we understand you have had an accident recently".....for the next decade at least.

As Mot said, once the claim is in (fault or not) this will be brought up every time you have a conversation with your insurers. Awful business.

Well done ! Very civilised

If you are reading this and you work in insurance please kill yourself or find another job immediately.

After 9 years NCB, nothing else counts I think. Don’t you have protected NCB?

Some companies stop at 9. Others continue. They will write you a letter confirming your extra NCB. I went with Tesco, I had 13 years and after 2 years I left they said here is 9 years NCB. I told them I have 15, and they wrote a letter confirming that.

Shop around for insurance and you will realise what crap the whole NCB issue is.I have had 3 vehicles hit my stationary car from behind in 12 months.two drivers lied until the eve of court,insurance companies waste of space.Have had upto 15 years NCB and its about as relevant as what you have for tea.A computer acts as a random number generator for renewals usually.

Might be wise - given the possible terms of your PCP agreement - To choose a BMW approved shop for repair - Self sourced or Insurance provided.

Doesn't the Insurance company increase premiums due to the claim ? Maybe adding to the loss of NCB ?

Consequences, consequences, often unforeseen.

-0-

I’m not sure if they increase it, I hope not. I don’t have protected no claims but as far as I can see from the policy wording my no claims will be unaffected.

The insurance approved place just phoned me, i’m taking it for an estimate tomorow. I asked if they would use BMW genuine parts, she said she thinks so but will check with the assessor.

In my unprofessional opinion, it needs a new wing and a wheel. I think the bumper will repair.

I’m going to get an estimate from a body shop i’ve used before, that’s called Nu-Look Motor Bodies, to be honest i’d much rather use them than the national chain.

Pain in the arse that Ian, especially as it's your new car.

At least your other halfs ok which is the main thing mate!.

Really sorry to hear your bad news, Ian.

It's a total pain, especially as it is your new pride and joy, but the most important thing is Mrs H. I hope she is fine.

I had a similar accident where the TP came out of a side road after skidding on ice and hit me. He did actually stop, but gave me a false address.
I went round to the address and a sweet old lady answered the door. She hadn't heard of him, but when I gave her the surname (which bizarrely, he had not falsified) she said a family with that name lived there a decade ago.
I went to the nearest PS to the accident location. After explaining the situation at length to the desk sargeant, she told me she was not willing to report the situation. I kept my cool and complained to someone higher up. This too was knocked back so I went higher still.

The report was subsequently filed & investigated by GMP and the driver eventually brought to court and fined & endorsed. I contacted MIB and got a claim rolling. I eventually received payment for the damage. I also received payment for uninsured losses which at that time were not covered by MIB, I think, from the court.

See mib.org.uk

Sponsored Links
Back