push don't pull

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a DIY disaster but one of the most mortifying experiences I have had…..
In Wickes last weekend looking for a new shower for the en-suite. They have a sale on. Get a 900mm quad tray, the enclosure, the waste and a mixer shower for £229!!! The wife O.K.’s it and I send her back to the car to get the back seats down to accommodate the enclosure.

I grab one of the blue trolleys. The ones for moving boards (that say pull don’t push on the handle) and start to load it up. Last to go on is the enclosure. The box is quite heavy and I stand it up vertically in the trolley by lifting it as if I was giving someone a bear hug. I go to the till. There’s a long queue. I pay for it and start to pull it outside. As I get to the automatic door that leads to the car park I feel some resistance on the trolley and look back just in time to see the enclosure hit the top of the door and tip off the trolley with an almighty crash. Time stops! The 30 odd people in the queue are all looking at me! I feel my face flush. I walk round to pick up the enclosure. I move the box and hear about a million pieces of glass grinding in the box. It’s smashed to smithereens!

I fake a phone call on my mobile thinking what to do. Luckily none of the staff were watching when the accident happened. I go over to the customer services and explain that something sounds broken in the enclosure box that I have just bought. She checks the stock and says I’ll get you another no problem. Phew. Thank god for the staff we have in this country but it makes you wonder how they ever catch shoplifters if they missed something as loud as a shower enclosure smashing to pieces.

BS

Sponsored Links
LOL! Good on their staff for turning a blind eye!

At the end of the day, they probably return it to the supplier for credit.

;)

So it is ok as long as someone else pays for your mistake, what makes it ok to steal from this or any other company.

LaminatePro - what a miserable sod you are (I bet your not really!!!!)

I think though, legally, as the offending article was still on the sellers premises when it had its little accident then it was ok to replace regardless of the circumstances of its demise - how many times do you see in supermarkets dropped bottles (albeit prior to the checkout) and nobody is charged for them - in fact I think Tescos advertised years ago that if anything breaks post checkout up to getting it in your car then they will replace. Same rule applies here don't you think ???

Sponsored Links
It could also be said that they may be liable for not telling you that the trolley was incorrectly loaded while at the checkout. :D

I know there is a bit of a price diffrence but i work in a super market. Sainsburys to precise. An we have a policy that if i customer drops something we get them another one aslong as it happens on the stores grounds aka Car Park etc. I dont see anything wrong with it i would of done the same.

Just because Sainsburys offers a replacement of items you break, doesn't mean EVERY shop automatically "has to" or "does". Wickes might choose to or choose not to - that's their business decision, same as it's Sainsbury's.

i work in a super market. Sainsburys to precise.
HEATHEN!!!

The Co-operative is the future. :evil:

You mean the Co-op was the past....Thousands of convenience stores in the 60s and 70s all closed down.
What are Tesco's doing?....opening convenience stores...making fortunes.
Crap management at the Co-op.

Sorry to hijack the thread subject... ;)

I cant believe people think this behaviour is OK. Shame on you. You could argue that stealing from a shop is OK because they're insured anyway.....or is that OK, too? This is not about being a boring **** (tho I may be!) but I think this sort of atitude strikes at the very nub of what is wrong with this country.

Just me take on it

If the enclosure was upright and it still bashed the door lintel, then surely he should have been advised...or signs should have been perhaps displayed about the restricted height of the exit door. You see them elsewhere.

The only thing that would have stopped me doing the same would be the nerve to go to the desk and say "i think something is broken" *whistle", lol, class!

I don't see a problem with it.......most shops will rip customers off on a daily basis........which hits the individual. Shafting the store back doesn't.

That's my take on it.
I aint perfect.....and i still sleep at night.

I didnt say I was perfect.

Would you teach your kids that this form of deceit is the way to live?

Absolutely not mate, but when they're a similar age to what i am now, they'll make a choice that may or may not see them do something similar. And i won't stand there and hold them in judgement, whether i'd done similar or not.

If the shower enclosure was something far less expensive i don't think i'd spare a second thought in buying another. But after shelling out what he did, and probably not able to afford another i just don't blame the OP for what he did.

Yes, it doesn't make it right in the eyes of the law.....but hey......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back