Shower Enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm looking for a solution to a shower enclosure conundrum.

I have an en-suite that is 1.6m by 1.7m.

I need a non-slip tray, so will go with a low level Mira Flight Safe. The enclosure (if a quad) can be a maximum of 900 x 900, but I need a grab handle to get in and out safely.

Is the best solution a floor-ceiling pole fitted close to the tray?

There are rectangular enclosures that have a grab pole built-in, but I would have to extend the en-suite to fit this in and would like to avoid re-jigging the bedroom layout.

Sponsored Links
I think a floor to ceiling pole is quite restrictive where you best position it. MY FIL has 2 floor to ceiling fixed polycarbonate/glass panels at right angles. The front panel is longer than the end panel and there is no door fitted. Because of the length of the front panel no water escapes through the open gap. He has an acrylic handle fitted to each panel to help him get in and hold himself steady, (if he needs to), whilst showering. Unfortunately I don't know what the base size is but he says the handles are the bees knees to help him shower.

Thank you, conny, that's a great help! I'll do some more digging..

Could you turn it into a wet room & then fit fit safety devices wherever you want them on the walls.

Sponsored Links
I agree with Connie. You best buying handles designed for purpose.
You could have more than one. You'll work out were best to fit.
If space is an issue you could fit a cool to touch bar shower mixer. Fitted properly these can be used to secure yourself.

Thanks fellas. Wet room is a thought.

Bodd, thanks for that suggestion. I also need something outside the enclosure that I can grab while getting in/ out.

Can you take pictures of your existing. I do this sort of thing alot I may be able to suggest what's good

Ah. The existing is sadly demolished, but I can get pics of the space.

The room is 1.7m down the window wall and 1.6m the other way.
To the right of the WC was a 700 shower tray with a stud wall separating it from the WC.

The dividing wall to the bedroom we had to demolish as it was rotten from a long-standing leak. The floor too was affected. The area near the tray was soft but the floor in general is swollen and uneven and the damp even extended to the other side of the wall under the wardrobes in the bedroom...

The original plan was to put a 900x900 quad in, but I feel I will need (if not now, later) something to grab onto as I get in and out of the shower.

And yes, there WAS a double socket behind the tiles inside the shower tray. And the water was seeping behind....:eek:

Edited to add text.

IMG_20191030_090240.jpg
IMG_20191030_090320.jpg

Last edited:
If I got the en-suite extended out into the bedroom where the bin bag is (and halfway down the removed wall, essentially taking up part of the space where the wardrobes sat) then we could get a 1400 x 900 tray in, but I'm not sure how that plan would work with an enclosure, because part of the tray would be in the recess.

Yes you could put another screen at the end to prevent over spray but you will still need to lean in to grab the rail.
FIL shower is basically like this but with the end screen fitted. About 6" in from the edge of the end screen is a handle to hold on to when stepping in/getting out. There is also a similar handle on the facing screen near to the shower end he can use if necessary.

Sponsored Links
Back