little bump in the car..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just reveresed out of my drive and clipped a car parked on the other side of the road across my driveway ( they have an empty drive, why not use it? )

no damage to my car but it's pulled the bumper off theirs ( broke a plastic mounting lug off but otherwise it's ok.. )

do I need to contact my insurance or do they just contact theirs with my details?

Sponsored Links
Why involve insurance?
Just go over and pay for the damage.

I get the same with people parking close opposite , I end up having to mount the pavement to swing round :evil:

I would photograph the damage to their vehicle so that they don't go claiming a write-off and then send copies and a covering letter to your insurance company so that they are prepared in their claims department.

dave

Sponsored Links
I'm involving the inurance because that's what I pay the £400+ a year for.. it's about time they paid out.. ( 14 years protected no-claims.. )

the other car is an 07 and new to the old biddy, so I doubt she'll claim a wright off..
got photo's anyway just in case..

I guess I should have been watching my mirrors and not the neighbours kid to keep an eye on where he was..

you can simply offer to pay for the damage, normally no, you don't bother contacting your insurance company until you get the letter on the mat.

Part of the terms of a normal policy is that you notify your own insurers immediatly of any incident, or any incident likely to result in a claim - even if an agreement is reached between the parties to pay without involving insurers.

If you don't, then it is possible for the insurers not to meet any claim which was not previously notified to them.

Remember, claims can come several years after the incident - long after you have forgot about it

It's okay going down the insurance route but they are Firking US, be resolved in 35 years time.......
Even though PNCB will still put an extra £50 plus on next years renewal, coz you claimed or a claim was made against you.
Someone wrote my motor off, it was parked up legally and I was at work.
So I had nothing to do with the incident, but still had an addition £50 on renewal because I claimed :confused: What's that about, firk all to do with me :mad:

So £50 on yours £50 on your neighbours renewal, what's the damage to the motor worth?

Not taking into account your excess, too! If your excess is £200, and the repair is £200, why bother involving insurers? :confused:

Remember that even with protected NCB, your premium can still go up because you have to declare that you made a claim in the last X years (X depending on insurer, but usually 4 or 5). It doesn't just make it all go away. :!:

I'd get it looked at by a decent bodyshop. What looks broken beyond repair to you or I is a couple of hours' labour for them. Might not even need a new bumper.

Insurance companies have the excess to deter frivolous claims and fraudulent claims. This one would be frivolous.

If you know her well enough as a neighbour and she is a straight sort of person, it's unlikely that a year down the line she'll "remember" she was in the car at the time, got whiplash and start procedings.

If its a fairly new car she isn't going to want a lash up by you mate "Del Boy" down some back street, I can see if being a £350/400 repair if a new bumper is required, if it can be fixed under £200.

That said I could be well off, a guy in a truck took my wingmirror off last week but came within microns of touching the side of my car (I actually had two wheels on the grass verge), no idea what he was doing, not looking at the road anyhow. I had to chase him back to his depot where he was pretty desperate to pay for the repairs out of his own pocket.

The cost for a mingmirror for my 2004 VW Golf £146.44, plus painting £75+vat, plus one hours labour to fit would have cost him nearly £300! I charged him £170, bought the mirror, got a mate to paint it and fitted it myself.

My point I guess, is you are probably better taking it through the insurance, I would inform your company give the old bat your details and have the lube on standby when you come to renew.

I would always involve the insurance. That way, you have a legal record of everything that happened and cant get yourself into any trouble

Lose a bit of weight fatty and you might be able to look over your shoulder properly . ;)

Sponsored Links
Back