Car accident

Perhaps the MOT man could recommend a local driving instructer?

Sponsored Links
andy said:
jbonding said:
if youve got it booked in for an mot your sound as regards mot but road tax and insurance is another thing.. if you dont have to involve the police i wouldnt. if you exchainged details with someone dont be surprised if there looking for there guaranteed £1800 whip lash claim.
but he cant get tax without the MOT. so it aint his fault he has no tax

your mot can run out when youve got tax and insurance this is where the booking of the mot is important ;) so really he shouldnt of been on the road with no insurance never mind tax and he should of got it towed there ;) ive done it my self but was lucky not to have an accident :LOL:

maybe the car had been SORN. and during that time the MOT has ran out.

Sponsored Links
The car is insured, and yes it was sorn beforehand.

No question I was within the law, just needed clarification on whether i needed to report. The consensus seems to be not.

Thanks

all road accidents should be reported. its the law and im not a stickler but if the other persons got your details they may be getting a bad back

"about now" ;)

if you havent dont worry about it, incidently you didnt tell the other driver your situation did you? :eek: :eek:

toasty said:
The car is insured, and yes it was sorn beforehand.

No question I was within the law, just needed clarification on whether i needed to report. The consensus seems to be not.

Thanks

Ever heard of a low-loader? It's a lorry that is perfectly capable of carrying cars, perfectly legally. You might have seen one around, possibly carring cars, perfectly legally. You can also carry a car perfectly legally on a suitable trailer pulled by a suitably-rated towing vehicle. Those are all perfectly legal ways of transporting a car that is untaxed, un-mot'd, uninsured.

You think you were legal, but you might find your car insurance is invalid if you are driving without tax and MOT... As to the question of whether or not you were within the law, I don't think you can actually be certain you weren't.

Let's be honest, you were trying your hand at a bit of rear-wheel-drive fun, weren't you! :LOL: We've all done it, yes it is a laugh. But not really a clever thing to do when a) you haven't done it before and b) you aren't certain if you are legal.

If it lies broken on or at the roadside, I should shift it pdq, as currently it is not en-route to MOT, or anywhere else... In fact less than roadworthy.
Note the 'if'.
;)

If the car is insured for you to drive, was booked in at an approved MOT station and you were taking the most appropriate route to the MOT station (i.e. not via a detour to do your shopping) for that booked appointment then you have no problem.

If no one else is affected by the incident you describe - injury to person or property - then there is no obligation to report it. If someone is affected materially then you must supply your details (including insurance details) to that person e.g. if you damage a road sign, fence, etc.. you must inform the owner (local council, homeowner, etc.). If someone has suffered personal injury you are obliged to report the incident to the police.

toasty, if it clarifies things, as i said earlier you do not need to report it under the circumstances surrounding what happened. If it clarifies things more i used to be a copper!

Thermo said:
toasty, if it clarifies things, as i said earlier you do not need to report it under the circumstances surrounding what happened. If it clarifies things more i used to be a copper!

MOT and tax don't necessarily overlap. My MOT is in July, my tax expires at the end of November. So, if my MOT expires and I leave it off the road until August, I would be able to drive, whilst taxed and insured, to the MOT station. This is legal.

BUT! In the case here, the car was untaxed. Is it legal to drive an untaxed vehicle on the road? I would think the DVLA would take a dim view of SORN vehicles driving about, even if only to get an MOT done.

adam re read my posts, i was talking about the accident and the requirements to report it. The tax is a side issue and nothing to do with the accident.

AdamW said:
Thermo said:

MOT and tax don't necessarily overlap. My MOT is in July, my tax expires at the end of November. So, if my MOT expires and I leave it off the road until August, I would be able to drive, whilst taxed and insured, to the MOT station. This is legal.

BUT! In the case here, the car was untaxed. Is it legal to drive an untaxed vehicle on the road? I would think the DVLA would take a dim view of SORN vehicles driving about, even if only to get an MOT done.

If the car is being driven in order to get the MOT it is not a problem. No MOT / Tax does not invalidate the insurance.

adam w wrote:

dont think they would!

Frequently asked question from the dvla website

"If I declare SORN does my vehicle have to be kept off the public roads?

Yes. Any vehicle that is kept or used on public roads must have a valid tax disc. There is one exception - when the vehicle is going to a pre-arranged MOT test and the vehicle has valid insurance for the journey."

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/Ev...sorn&EVENT_SUB_TYPE=FAQS&FAQ=sorn&language=en

Sponsored Links
Back