Car accident

T

toasty

Hi,

Can someone confirm that if a car accident takes place, and no one is injured, no car other than mine is damaged (buckled wheel in this case) and noone's property is damaged, aside from a bit of grass at the side of the road . That i don't have to report it?

Was driving today just on the way to get an mot (prebooked into an mot station) the car is new to me and rear wheel drive and I managed to spin it on a roundabout.

Don't want to report it unless I have to as the details are complicated, but I think I'm right in thinking I don't have to.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
correct as long as you have stopped to check. Also if another party is involved you would only need to exchange genuine details to comply with section 170 of the road traffic act

Had no choice but to stop mate, was facing the wrong way on the grass!!

Not a mark on the car, so can't of hit anyone/thing else.

Just don't fancy explaining why the car isn't taxed/mot'd - was on the way to get an mot, from which I would have got tax, and of course i don't have the V5 doc yet as i had only just aqcuired the car.

That's good news anyway, thanks for confirming what I thought.

Cheers.

toasty said:
Had no choice but to stop mate, was facing the wrong way on the grass!!

Not a mark on the car, so can't of hit anyone/thing else.

Just don't fancy explaining why the car isn't taxed/mot'd - was on the way to get an mot, from which I would have got tax, and of course i don't have the V5 doc yet as i had only just aqcuired the car.

That's good news anyway, thanks for confirming what I thought.

Cheers.

you should have part of the old log book. you cna get tax with that

Sponsored Links
I do have that, but without an mot I couldn't tax it.

I hadn't done anything wrong and was within the law, but was driving without tax and mot.

Normally not a problem I guess, but to have an accident at the same time is just plain unlucky I guess, but entirely likely as I'm used to front wheel drive or quattro cars, and this was is/was a rear wheel monster.

Umm.... what a pain, really liked the car too.

Pretty sure you can drive without tax or mot if on the way to mot station and they have the vehicle booked in.

Yep, that's what I was doing, but it as I say, can you imagine explaining to the police?

If I can avoid it, which it looks like I can, as I have no legal responsibility to report it, I'll not bother and save myself the hassle of producing documents etc......

Cheers everyone.

toasty said:
Yep, that's what I was doing, but it as I say, can you imagine explaining to the police?

If I can avoid it, which it looks like I can, as I have no legal responsibility to report it, I'll not bother and save myself the hassle of producing documents etc......

Cheers everyone.

car tax rules are stupid. you try to pay the tax, but they wont let you because of THEIR mistake (they didnt change registered owner) and then they fine you for not payin.

and then there are other people who drive round, no tax etc and get away with it. maybe i should quit my job, start drinkin, get drink money etc etc and get away with everything. maybe rob a bank and kill a few people and say i needed the money for drink... id probabl get away with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the police, they do a good job IMO.

However, allready a little peaved about effectively writing off what was a nice (free) car, could do without probably 2 hours or so scrutinising my paperwork to the nth degree. Plus it'd be a waste of their time and our money, sure there is someone else out there who's actually breaking the law.

toasty said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the police, they do a good job IMO.

However, allready a little peaved about effectively writing off what was a nice (free) car, could do without probably 2 hours or so scrutinising my paperwork to the nth degree. Plus it'd be a waste of their time and our money, sure there is someone else out there who's actually breaking the law.

providing you werent speeding, they probably wouldnt be interested anyway.

If no-one else was involved and no damage to anyone property why would you bother telling the Police? They probably wouldn't care anyway, too busy drinking tea and nicking speeders.

Not at all. Was just worried that I had done something wrong.

if youve got it booked in for an mot your sound as regards mot but road tax and insurance is another thing.. if you dont have to involve the police i wouldnt. if you exchainged details with someone dont be surprised if there looking for there guaranteed £1800 whip lash claim.

jbonding said:
if youve got it booked in for an mot your sound as regards mot but road tax and insurance is another thing.. if you dont have to involve the police i wouldnt. if you exchainged details with someone dont be surprised if there looking for there guaranteed £1800 whip lash claim.
but he cant get tax without the MOT. so it aint his fault he has no tax

Sponsored Links
Back