MOT's Every Two Years??? A Recipe For Disaster??

Reaction score
Country
Palau
Not a good idea if it goes ahead as already many dangerous vehicles on the roads.
At times stuff is picked up on the mot that may cost xx to repair but if left longer could cost a lot more and having a breakdown/accident because of that

There are better/safer ways to save people money and that is by getting fuel co's to reduce profits as news reports suggest diesel prices are 15p too high and this could save you a lot more and safer.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...hanges-mot-testing-boris-johnson-grant-shapps

Sponsored Links
Doubt it'll ever happen. As usual, government tinkering around the financial edges to save the public pitiful amounts of money, instead of looking at ways to reduce the overall financial strain on households. And for car owners it could simply end up costing you more e.g. fault missed for 12-24 months could develop into something much more costly to repair.

Cars might not develop quite as many faults if they didn't have to go over friggin' speed 'cushions' and poorly maintained roads. As I type, the road outside my cul-de-sac is being repaired, god talk about a patchwork of repairs. Mean time, other parts of the road (that don't appear to be earmarked for repair this time round) are already degrading quite badly.

We all have stories we can tell re MOTs and car repairs. Mine was in one year and had a broken coil spring. Mechanic showed me pic and vid footage of the break. Said if it had been left, the way it had broken there was a risk of it going into the internal sidewall of the tyre which could have led to more significant issues. There were no adverse noises coming from the car, so if that had been left for another x months, goodness knows how it might have played out.

Sponsored Links
Even if the rules changed to once every two years, I would do it every year.

They have been pushing for this for quite some time now. It is known as the 4-2. The govt. wanted the first test done at 4 years instead of 3 and then every two years. Obviously that will cut out a lot of business for mot stations. VOSA as it was known didn't want it and when we used to go on refresher courses (funded by the mot scheme which has now been replaced by a yearly online test paid for by the tester) we were told, no, urged, to record any minor things found on tests instead of just doing them and passing the vehicle. This was to 'up' the failure percentage to add weight to VOSA's argument to keep it at 3+1.

They have been pushing for this for quite some time now. It is known as the 4-2. The govt. wanted the first test done at 4 years instead of 3 and then every two years. Obviously that will cut out a lot of business for mot stations. VOSA as it was known didn't want it and when we used to go on refresher courses (funded by the mot scheme which has now been replaced by a yearly online test paid for by the tester) we were told, no, urged, to record any minor things found on tests instead of just doing them and passing the vehicle. This was to 'up' the failure percentage to add weight to VOSA's argument to keep it at 3+1.
I reckon 3 years for first and 1 thereafter is about right. Even from new, if a car is driven hard and/or over sh1tty roads, it will have taken a lot of punishment even at 36 months old, more so if doing a lot of miles.

Doubt it'll ever happen. As usual, government tinkering around the financial edges to save the public pitiful amounts of money, instead of looking at ways to reduce the overall financial strain on households. And for car owners it could simply end up costing you more e.g. fault missed for 12-24 months could develop into something much more costly to repair.

Cars might not develop quite as many faults if they didn't have to go over friggin' speed 'cushions' and poorly maintained roads. As I type, the road outside my cul-de-sac is being repaired, god talk about a patchwork of repairs. Mean time, other parts of the road (that don't appear to be earmarked for repair this time round) are already degrading quite badly.

I am watching Boris on tv and I forget re local elections as Starmers said something like I have said, IE cutting around the edges won't help...but the oil companies are like cash machines and that Boris won't tax his mates or something like that.

Never mind tax the oil co's get them to behave and reduce diesel prices by at least 15p a litre if not more.

Even if the rules changed to once every two years, I would do it every year.

Even on a brand new car?

I have an ear for faults and often recognise them long before even the mechaincs can pic them up.

I feel that MOT's should be carried out every year as a lot of drivers don't even look at their tyres never mind
lights not working.

Even on a brand new car?

I have an ear for faults and often recognise them long before even the mechaincs can pic them up.

I feel that MOT's should be carried out every year as a lot of drivers don't even look at their tyres never mind
lights not working.

Why is it that I've been unable to locate the source of a squeaking noise in my car for the last six months, yet last Tuesday when I farted on the bus everybody immediately turned and looked at me?.

Sponsored Links
Back