MOT every 2 years - any comments?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently this idea was raised at Cabinet by Grant Shapps when Boris asked for ideas that would reduce the cost of living. Over the years my MOTs have highlighted issues which were potentially dangerous (mainly brakes and tyres). On one occasion they found that a headlight bulb had blown and I had no idea as I rarely drove at night....but my wife did!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Apparently this idea was raised at Cabinet by Grant Shapps when Boris asked for ideas that would reduce the cost of living. Over the years my MOTs have highlighted issues which were potentially dangerous (mainly brakes and tyres). On one occasion they found that a headlight bulb had blown and I had no idea as I rarely drove at night....but my wife did!

That's strange, I thought cars today detected such problems & flashed up a warning on the dash.
Good job the failure was picked up at the MOT

I find MOTs a waste of my time and money.

But then I notice if bulbs are out and check all round the car every day or two.

Equally I check the tyres regularly!

But I am aware some drivers seem oblivious to how their cars are working and many fail to dip headlights and dazzle other drivers.

But any driver who needs further reassurance can get MOTs done at any time. In fact many places give free "Pre MOT Checks".

I agree with all the points you make. I was not suggesting that owners should totally rely on electronic aids, nothing takes the place of the occasional walk-around... I was just surprised the car's system, which I thought had been around for decades, didn't give warning of the fault.

I'm amazed that with todays technology we do not have all around lamp monitoring in all cars.
I'd like a initial turn on display of the entire car and working lamps or an alert on the centre screen telling me exactly which lamp has failed.

But no - nil, nada zilch.

We can have tyre pressure monitoring, electric windows, electric mirrors etc. but nothing that keeps the car legal.

I'm amazed that with todays technology we do not have all around lamp monitoring in all cars.
I'd like a initial turn on display of the entire car and working lamps or an alert on the centre screen telling me exactly which lamp has failed.

But no - nil, nada zilch.

We can have tyre pressure monitoring, electric windows, electric mirrors etc. but nothing that keeps the car legal.
My 2008 Golf has lamp monitoring.

My old 5 series, built 10 years before your Golf, warns me of failed lamps (plus many other faults if they occur) & it's currently telling me to check the rear no. plate lamps every time I turn the ign. on ... though there's nothing wrong with them, it's just that the bulbs have been retro-fitted with LED's to facilitate a reversing camera :oops:

Yes "some" cars have it, but it's so easy to do yet not standard in all cars like ABS is.
So many cars have lamp failures, I see them every day.
IMO it could be - quite simply.

I think the failed bulb warning light system bulb on my car has failed but I have no way of knowing.

Often, on older cars, it's not the bulb that's the problem. More likely a poor earth or some corrosion in the contacts. As more and more cars go to LED lamps, it becomes harder to use traditional methods of bulb failure monitoring.

Mind you, I have to say it's not often that we hear people wanting MORE complexity on here!

Often, on older cars, it's not the bulb that's the problem. More likely a poor earth or some corrosion in the contacts. As more and more cars go to LED lamps, it becomes harder to use traditional methods of bulb failure monitoring.

As illustrated by my post (#10) ref. no. plate lamps?

Sponsored Links
Back