MOT's Every Two Years??? A Recipe For Disaster??

Happened to me, but luckily overnight when van was parked on drive. Parked it normally, but next morning couln't move it. Turned out offside spring had broken near the bottom which released the tension of the spring and it expanded down the strut/shock and jammed hard against the inside wall of tyre. Couldn't rotate the wheel or move the steering. Luckily it had missed the brake pad wear indicator wire and the brake pipe. Dread to think what would have happened if spring had let go in outside lane of motorway at 70 mph.

More recently the garage spotted that the spring on the other side had broken. In 36 years of owning all sorts of vehicles, never had a broken spring. Now two on same vehicle.
Was it a Ford by any chance? I've lost count of the coil springs I've changed on Focus's, Fiesta's and Mondeo's.

Sponsored Links
Was it a Ford by any chance? I've lost count of the coil springs I've changed on Focus's, Fiesta's and Mondeo's.

No, not Ford - Fiat (Fix It Again Tomorrow) Scudo. Though to be fair it's never boken down or failed an MOT in the 15 years I've owned it. Maybe because the only part on it that's actually Fiat is the badge. It's really a Peugeot Citroen design with the ultra reliable HDI engine.

It's replacement may be a Ford though. Like the look of the Ford Tourneo vans.

This is maybe a stupid question, however I'm thinking about the physics of the whole thing, pressure exerted on parts etc. Do you think there is greater potential to cause damage by going over speed cushions at a lower or higher speed? I always slow down for them but my goodness, many fly over them as though they're not even there. Surely it can't be good for a vehicles suspension and other related components to go over them at 30+ mph? Or is there less pressure/stress on the components because the vehicle is moving more quickly?

I would consider moving to a better neighbourhood.

Thanks but if you read and understood the post you would have noted that I clearly did not say where this happened. Believe it or not, my cars do travel further than my drive/close etc, fact.

About a "better neighbourhood" if you knew anyone in a nice area, you'd know that crime/vandals will operate wherever they want to. Keying cars is often carried out by spitful people that envy the others hard work and rewards just because they could not be arsed to work, invest, save, spend wisely etc.

About Mot's and servicing - my dealers do vids of the car a quick run through underside but I feel that a full video clip re whole service/mot for a few more quid would put the customers mid at rest and reduce cowboy/workshy fitters/testers/mechanics. I've met a number of people inc me that feel that the garage has not done the work they said and a few years back I marked the battery in the key and it was never changed but they insisted they did until I told them what I had done and the it was "sorry sir, oversight.." It was a main dealer of a classy marque.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
This is maybe a stupid question, however I'm thinking about the physics of the whole thing, pressure exerted on parts etc. Do you think there is greater potential to cause damage by going over speed cushions at a lower or higher speed? I always slow down for them but my goodness, many fly over them as though they're not even there. Surely it can't be good for a vehicles suspension and other related components to go over them at 30+ mph? Or is there less pressure/stress on the components because the vehicle is moving more quickly?

It entirely depends on the bump and the car. Ultimately all speed bumps are damaging.

Speed humps really affected my Ford Mondeo V6 Ghia that I bought brand new. I opted for the low profile tyres on it and drove very carefully but the suspension type thing that was shapped like a triangle, the rubbers went on it and i noted that little knock as i drive slowly and had them changed twice.

Years ago I had a Mercedes, bought new and I had low profiles on that and the droplinks were changed and that again I noted before they really went off.

Tyres with bigger sidewalls give you a softer ride and more suited to our roads in town/wtc

Speed humps really affected my Ford Mondeo V6 Ghia that I bought brand new. I opted for the low profile tyres on it and drove very carefully but the suspension type thing that was shapped like a triangle, the rubbers went on it and i noted that little knock as i drive slowly and had them changed twice.

Years ago I had a Mercedes, bought new and I had low profiles on that and the droplinks were changed and that again I noted before they really went off.

I won't waste much of my time considering what you really drive, needless to say it's a sensible likkle 10yr+ practical & reasonably priced runabout. Bought on finance at 32.5% for a term 2yrs longer than the cars life expectancy.

Has the gearbox given you much trouble yet?

I know someone that ran a Ford franchise. They sent him on one of their courses - how to explain a gearbox failure at 60K miles. I didn't ask which models.

Personally on my previous car I had the transmission oil changed at 30 to 40k - by a main agent as they can be the only people who know how much to put in. X Type Jag and before hearing the above.

Last year my wifes KA+ had 4 advisories, we did nothing about them and when the same garage did the MOT this year there was none. go figure :)
It's only done about 3k since the previous MOT.

A 3 year MOT would IMO be fine for our cars.

My own KA+ is now 4 years old, it was serviced by the main dealer when I bought it last year, I have not serviced it since - its still working well.
If I do all I'll likely do is change the oil, filter and pollen fiilters etc.
I can look at most stuff thats done in a 12 month service myself, given that I do under 6k a year it doesn't get a lot of stick.

My previous car however - being older I would expect to have to MOT it each year as the older cars tend to have been used more and have more faults.

I won't waste much of my time considering what you really drive, needless to say it's a sensible likkle 10yr+ practical & reasonably priced runabout. Bought on finance at 32.5% for a term 2yrs longer than the cars life expectancy.

ipad_1.jpg

Last year my wifes KA+ had 4 advisories, we did nothing about them and when the same garage did the MOT this year there was none. go figure :)
My commuter scooter had an advisory on stiff and notchy steering head bearings. Didn't feel stiff or notchy to me so I left them. One year later, same garage, same tester, nothing mentioned!

i’ve bought several motorbikes that have had the same advisories for at least 7 or 8 previous mot’s.

I know someone that ran a Ford franchise. They sent him on one of their courses - how to explain a gearbox failure at 60K miles. I didn't ask which models.

Personally on my previous car I had the transmission oil changed at 30 to 40k - by a main agent as they can be the only people who know how much to put in. X Type Jag and before hearing the above.

Never had a car with more than 30 on the clock. But a brother-in-law of mine bought a brand new Mondeo 1.6 manual. It was his first ever brand new car the year was 1996 - he has kept it and the cars done over a 140k mls i think and same engine, gearbox, rust free as he keeps it garged. The funny thing is a few years later he bought a brand new Jag xj6, it was the dogs ******s (he has still got that) but I was shocked when he gave me the key as send take it for a spin - the key was a ford key - cant recall if ford owned jag at the time but the key was a ford key - the jag is black 2-7tdvi or whatever its called got pipped seates and has a tv but i don't think that works now and those big wheels, still a head turner and he got a big discount on the mondeo as well as the jag as his dad worked at dagenham. Even the jag has not given him any trouble but htat has only covered about 60k miles.

I think it is how you look after the car and more importantly drive it - if you hardly get it serviced and cant be arsed to change gears etc, they will break.

the most reialble cars I've had are the mercs, closely followed by thr Q7. Range Rover Sport and the puka Range Rover have little fault niggles but dont keep one that is more than 3 year old unless you have deep pockets and the time to get the problems sorted.

Never had a car with more than 30 on the clock

What tended to happen and it's probably ~20 years ago now. maybe earlier was oil improved and cars went on and on. Then the manufacturers accounted for the change.

The 60k mentioned probably depends on where people drive. People who do very high yearly mileages usually do a lot of motorway driving which is actually pretty kind to cars. From what the franchise runner said my impression was it would be more likely to apply to private motorists as he mentioned saving to buy and not expecting problems for a long time.

My X Type Jag was a Ford. They owned them for a while. Not sure who owns them now but they lack the distinctive looks they had when a UK firm. The X type was an attempt to retain that. One car that I am pretty sure was designed by them turned up as a Rover just as a certain car designed by Aston Martin turned into a Jag. I actually saw that one being track tested regularly a MIRA with the side grills that Aston used on some cars. The XK. Ford also ditched Jag's wonderful straight 6 engine.

Sponsored Links
Back