MOT's Every Two Years??? A Recipe For Disaster??

Sponsored Links
Boring factoid about that engine; number one cylinder is at the firewall end.

:rolleyes: I found it ran rather well on 5 cylinders until a hole appeared in the 6th's piston. Bargain short wheel base E Type just after a fuel crisis. However it did around 20 milers with no oil in the engine. It had always been run with moly in the engine oil. All stripped and difficult to find any significant wear.

When Ford bought all apart from the X Type and Rover cars they mostly seemed to aim at the USA market.

What tended to happen and it's probably ~20 years ago now. maybe earlier was oil improved and cars went on and on. Then the manufacturers accounted for the change.

The 60k mentioned probably depends on where people drive. People who do very high yearly mileages usually do a lot of motorway driving which is actually pretty kind to cars. From what the franchise runner said my impression was it would be more likely to apply to private motorists as he mentioned saving to buy and not expecting problems for a long time.

My X Type Jag was a Ford. They owned them for a while. Not sure who owns them now but they lack the distinctive looks they had when a UK firm. The X type was an attempt to retain that. One car that I am pretty sure was designed by them turned up as a Rover just as a certain car designed by Aston Martin turned into a Jag. I actually saw that one being track tested regularly a MIRA with the side grills that Aston used on some cars. The XK. Ford also ditched Jag's wonderful straight 6 engine.

I nearly bought an x-type but the BiL lol and said that was not a proper jag, so i went to audi . I sat in a v6 x type once a friend of a friend, it was smooth and felt every bit like a jag but smaller.

you are right re 6ok as i said, all depends....

the new xj, sis they have one its a big beast, i lover th interor the bonnet but not the back

jag is indian for a few years as is landrover i thing but as i type i think they sold off jag

I sat in a v6 x type

That's what I had but the estate version. The only car I could find with a similar boot size when I changed was a Subaru Forester. Floor plan for the dog and some luggage.

I was hoping they still did a madly fast large estate they used to make. Probably just as well that they didn't. It used the 6 cylinder version of their boxer engine.

Sponsored Links
the estate was a rare car as were the v6's but not as rare as the estate, nice looking car. i recall top gear doing s bit on the estate but i think that was a 4x4

I had a 1966 3.8 S type in 1979. I paid £125 for it. Brakes were pulling to one side and when I checked them over, I found a pair of mole grips on the front brake hose. Took them off and the calliper started leaking! Got a secondhand one from a breakers for a fiver. Sorted. Proper luxury it was. Sold it after 9 months for £50 when the timing chain started rattling.

I bought my X type just before the ownership change. Some of the service people left due to likely business with the new range. All sorts reps included bought X types and kept them busy. An affordable car. I kept my servicing with them and got a free MOT deal and they let me drive the new models as a loan car. Can't say as I saw it as anything special and the looks were disappointing. The XType was bought as a pre reg with ~300miles on the clock. As I am a private motorist I often buy those as it helps. :mrgreen: Subaru decided to sell me a brand new one for the same price as a pre reg. Bit better than some actually. Good Px deal on the X type too. They knew it would sell easily. It did,

Weren't X type Jags just Mondeos in a posh frock? Seriously they shared the same floor pan and most of the running gear / electrics. When I ran my Mondeo I would often buy Jag spares (ERG valve in particular) as they were cheaper than Fords. Another example is I wanted a flip key for the Mondeo so I bought a Jag key and just programmed it to the form module.

I think there were.

You may have not read my post re my BiL his brand new jag xj6 in 2006, the key shocked me up as it reminded my of my ford mondeo.

Last edited:
Weren't X type Jags just Mondeos in a posh frock? Seriously they shared the same floor pan and most of the running gear / electrics. When I ran my Mondeo I would often buy Jag spares (ERG valve in particular) as they were cheaper than Fords. Another example is I wanted a flip key for the Mondeo so I bought a Jag key and just programmed it to the form module.
Jaguar X-Type - Wikipedia

I heard from the people working at Jaguar when Ford took over. It meant using Ford's parts trolley - also thinner chrome plating due to spec changes. Spec's for all sorts probably changed too. So you get a car with all sorts of bits and pieces that Ford use on different cars - even door handles from memory.

GM was the same with Saab, engine developed by Fiat. GM was rather annoyed when they found Saab had changed a few things on one of the cars - suspension mounting points for one.

The USA makers aim seem to be to sell the same car world wide. Getting them to market is a rather expensive process. Reminds me of Leyland as it got into trouble. Totally new car development was too expensive. These days the same car may be offered by different makers.

o_O I also heard that Jaguar engineers didn't get on with Rover ones when problems cropped up on some of their 4 wheel drive cars. They thought they were idiots.

Was working at some fellas yesterday

he has a Jag SS 100 in his garage

Sorry - I may have got mixed up on the engine going on that. Seems it had to be a 4 cylinder engine. Worst car pain I had was a V6 diesel Passat. Exactly the same running gear as the Audi. They made some with a rubber cam belt. Unfortunately I bought one. :( So V6 springs to mind.

The belt - it failed at 99k not long after it was changed. It seems this happened with some other owners too. So VW went back to chain.I may have been lucky to get the mileage I did on the original one. It seems they didn't produce many cars with the rubber belt. I intended to run the car into the ground as week-ending in Pembrokeshire and working in B'ham.

Since the India co took over Jag/LR, there has been no looking back. Therefore, two Brtish marques that we messed up but the Indians's made them great again

Then you have Bentley, the UK messed it up it was on its knees and dull cars then Germany, VW/Audi group took over and the rest is history.

The mini, a Brit legend all messed up here and BMW/Germany made it great again

Then you have Rolls Royce, the Germans made it great again/BMW

Sponsored Links
Back