accident claim is being challenged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
put a claim in last year against a driver that didnt give way on a roundabout i was cycling at the time

the car ran over my left leg which sent me over the bars and bent the bike frame

now the drive is saying he was stationary on the roundabout and i ran into him ? no witnesses but my bike is badly damaged at the rear ie bent wheel bent chainstay

whats my chances of winning ?? anyone got a similiar story

Sponsored Links
Slogger said:
put a claim in last year against a driver that didnt give way on a roundabout i was cycling at the time

the car ran over my left leg which sent me over the bars and bent the bike frame

now the drive is saying he was stationary on the roundabout and i ran into him ? no witnesses but my bike is badly damaged at the rear ie bent wheel bent chainstay

How could a stationary car run over your leg?

Were the police informed?
Did you get his insurance details?
Are you claiming direct from him or his insurance?
Do you have car insurance (if you do they may be able to offer advice)

Slogger said:

Another thought: Why were you reversing on your bicycle?

Sponsored Links
:LOL:

police came within 10 mins paramedics in 5 mins left leg calf damage the rest brazed and scraped

bike done for

insurance claim is in using a third party

he was insured

he admitted not seeing me at the time

police even took his statement to that fact

how can they now say he was stationary

what % IS my case at for proving his fault ?? 60 70 80 % i was thinking more like 100 %

Slogger said:

A colleague of mine who is attending the same University course as me, was knocked off his bike on his way to University in November.
The driver of the BMW which hit him drove away without stopping. Peter (my mate) obtained the registration number and had a witness. He went to report the incident to the local Police station - but still hasn't heard anything from the Police - when he rings up they tell him they're still investigating the matter! He doesn't want any kind of compensation or a new bike (his old one was badly damaged) just wanted the car driver to be informed that he left the scene of an accident and for the Police to take some kind of action............but unfortunately nothing appears to have happened.

Slogger said:
:LOL:

police came within 10 mins ......

he admitted not seeing me at the time

police even took his statement to that fact

how can they now say he was stationary....

Write to the local police station giving names and dates and ask for a copy of the police accident report. If it backs up your story it will be very difficult for his insurers to weasel out of it.

I once did that with someone who went into the back of me at a Zebra crossing and wouldn't give me his insurance details; the police noted them so I was able to get a copy and write to the insurers myself; they saw no way of avoiding the claim. The silly boy was later convicted of careless driving, if he'd been more co-operative I wouldn't have needed to call the police.

JulieL/B said:
... when he rings up they tell him they're still investigating the matter! ....

I find when dealing with officialdom it's better to write a short, businesslike letter. They have to put it on file and reply; if they don't and you escalate they get in trouble. Whereas a phone call, if recorded at all, may be in words they choose and may not say what you think you said.

Sponsored Links
Back