New Car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs S and myself have had some serious discussions and decided that we should replace our much loved Honda FRV.

I started making a list of possibilities, using the Honda as a comparison, eg length, width, wheelbase, boot size etc...

I was very keen to see, sit in and test drive all the cars on our list.

What I was not expecting was that we were turned off certain cars by the salespeople being less than professional.

A Hyundai salesperson, who despite being told we had arrived for our appointment, kept us waiting, then strode over to us without any introduction or handshake and asked bluntly, "What is it you want to drive?"

I later left a message for him telling him it was ironic that their manufacturer's logo symbolised the customer and dealer shaking hands.

A Kia dealer who did not have the model we wanted to test drive and made no effort to get hold of one.

Another Kia dealer who, when told we had already had a test drive of one car (at another dealership) but would like a second, responded "Why would you want to drive it again?"

This was after talking on the phone to a different member of the sales team who assured us that both would be available for us to drive.

I'm sure they would buy a car on the basis of one 15 minute test drive.

Two Vauxhall sales staff who both called me "mate" and who didn't have the car we were interested in available to test drive. We ended up driving a second hand previous gen model from their lot.

The Skoda dealer who couldn't even be bothered to show us round the car.

Several dealers told us the waiting times were at least 12 months, some more like 18 months.

I ended up suggesting that one of the sales folk really didn't want to sell us a car. I seriously wondered what they were doing in that job.

The two keenest salespeople on our shortlist represented Nissan and MG.

We were both amazed and a bit over-faced by how cars of today's generation compare to the Honda which was in development 20 years earlier.

The biggest change is that so many of today's cars feature touchscreens and have fewer physical buttons.

LED lighting is a big thing.

There are also oodles of driver assistance systems now, some very helpful (like 360 cams and blind spot detection) and some less so, like lane departure that takes the wheel if you stray too close to a white line (God help you if you change lanes without indicating in good time first) and adaptive cruise that brakes unexpectedly or too harshly.

So, it was a bit of a culture shock for us.

Sponsored Links
They're not car salespeople in the sense that they are selling cars, they are there to sell the extra's.

When you walk onto the forecourt the car is already sold, their job is to upgrade you & extract the maximum amount of profit for the dealer.

With an attitude of "I was very keen to see, sit in and test drive all the cars on our list." They have somehow already sussed you, they work on strict targets & think you will only be wasting their time.

Don't pre-book or announce your desire to test drive the whole fleet. Drive in, park up & wander the stock while pointing & peering. Let them come to you & judge the quality of the dealership by just how long that takes.

Know how it works & you can play the system. You "should" already be focused on the make & model you want, the trim level being the only deciding factor. At the very least & probably more relevant for a used car you should know what size & body style you want.

If you go shopping with a list of everything from a 2dr 'hairdressers' car to a 5dr people carrier then they will quickly suss you as a timewaster & avoid you like the plague.

Mrs S and myself have had some serious discussions and decided that we should replace our much loved Honda FRV.

I started making a list of possibilities, using the Honda as a comparison, eg length, width, wheelbase, boot size etc...

I was very keen to see, sit in and test drive all the cars on our list.

What I was not expecting was that we were turned off certain cars by the salespeople being less than professional.

A Hyundai salesperson, who despite being told we had arrived for our appointment, kept us waiting, then strode over to us without any introduction or handshake and asked bluntly, "What is it you want to drive?"

I later left a message for him telling him it was ironic that their manufacturer's logo symbolised the customer and dealer shaking hands.

A Kia dealer who did not have the model we wanted to test drive and made no effort to get hold of one.

Another Kia dealer who, when told we had already had a test drive of one car (at another dealership) but would like a second, responded "Why would you want to drive it again?"

This was after talking on the phone to a different member of the sales team who assured us that both would be available for us to drive.

I'm sure they would buy a car on the basis of one 15 minute test drive.

Two Vauxhall sales staff who both called me "mate" and who didn't have the car we were interested in available to test drive. We ended up driving a second hand previous gen model from their lot.

The Skoda dealer who couldn't even be bothered to show us round the car.

Several dealers told us the waiting times were at least 12 months, some more like 18 months.

I ended up suggesting that one of the sales folk really didn't want to sell us a car. I seriously wondered what they were doing in that job.

The two keenest salespeople on our shortlist represented Nissan and MG.

We were both amazed and a bit over-faced by how cars of today's generation compare to the Honda which was in development 20 years earlier.

The biggest change is that so many of today's cars feature touchscreens and have fewer physical buttons.

There are also oodles of driver assistance systems now, some very helpful (like 360 cams and blind spot detection) and some less so, like lane departure that takes the wheel if you stray too close to a white line (God help you if you change lanes without indicating in good time first) and adaptive cruise that brakes unexpectedly or too harshly.

If you've had a Honda and are changing, be prepared to be disappointed. Bomb proof motors. We use German cars now. Whilst we have had modest issues, we don't expect to keep them as long as our old Honda. My Bruv (company rep) has had them all and now drives a Volvo and loves it. I'm not 'in love with our Audi A6, but it does do what it says on the tin and returns ok costs/performance results. Loads of luggage space though, so the missus loves it.
When I retire, we'll likely buy a small Honda.

We've bought several new cars and a van in the past. Wasn’t a pleasant experience. Fine if you want to buy what they have in stock but God forbid of you want one in a different colour or different spec and the attitude of the salespeople were astounding.

Sponsored Links
In my last job, I worked in a road a mile long that was lined with car showrooms.
One lunchtime I took a walk along to the nearest one, just to look at the cars. After a couple of minutes looking around, I heard a voice calling to me, "alright mate" it said. He then approached me and asked, "so, have you been in here before, pal"?
If I was looking for a change of car, I certainly wouldn't buy it from him.
I might be old fashioned but, if I was going to be spending a shed load of money, should they not be calling me Sir?

I might be old fashioned but, if I was going to be spending a shed load of money, should they not be calling me Sir?

Perhaps but, when spending "a shedload of money", you'd be churlish to miss out on a potential bargain by writing him off.
Look on it as getting one over the uncouth oik ;)

Overall I think the sales staff are generally poor and rude.

But having just visited local Honda and Subaru dealers I was very impressed.

Are you comparing main dealers or second hand sites? Various levels of the latter.

We replaced our car last year (previous generation Jazz) for a new Jazz. Changes LED lights are much more effective but no longer self-levelling. Now has rotary knobs for heater and audio volume controls.
Reversing camera and 'cross traffic' (detects vehicles approaching from the side when reversing) sensors. Front and rear parking sensors.

MPG is 12MPG better - 66mpg apposed to 54mpg but the new car is a Hybrid.

But then we come to another 'improvement' - the 'adaptive' cruise control, Unusable when it would be most useable - fast roads with traffic - it detects cars that leave the main route and slow down - the car also decreases speed - as Securespark says - aggressively, wife says it 'slams the brakes' on and is really concerned we will be causing a 'tail ended' accident. We do not use the Cruise Control very much in this car and certainly not in fast traffic.
Lane departure control - well it can turned off but only for that engine start, i.e. it has to turned off every time the car is started, in narrow lanes has a tendency to turn away from the roadside but misses approaching cars which it turns the car towards.

So IMO some of the safety features are not making the roads safer and less tiring - just the opposite.

If you go shopping with a list of everything from a 2dr 'hairdressers' car to a 5dr people carrier then they will quickly suss you as a timewaster & avoid you like the plague.
It wasn't like that!
We had a shortlist of petrol cars and another of electric ones.
If you've had a Honda and are changing, be prepared to be disappointed. Bomb proof motors.
It has been amazingly reliable so far, but there are a few issues that are going to be expensive to fix. If I had the confidence to sort them out myself, I would, but they are beyond my scope.
Sticky gears (clutch has been replaced).
Vibration from driveshaft.
Jolting when starting or turning off the engine.
But you're right. I don't expect the same reliability from another brand, except perhaps Lexis/ Toyota.
PS....You don't fancy a Diesel FRV with 174K, do you?
;)
and the attitude of the salespeople were astounding.
I heard a voice calling to me, "alright mate" it said. He then approached me and asked, "so, have you been in here before, pal"?
If I was looking for a change of car, I certainly wouldn't buy it from him.
Indeed. I could not believe some of the stuff I was hearing. And Mrs S, who was in sales for many years, was gobsmacked too.

Overall I think the sales staff are generally poor and rude.

But having just visited local Honda and Subaru dealers I was very impressed.

Are you comparing main dealers or second hand sites? Various levels of the latter.
Main dealers.
So IMO some of the safety features are not making the roads safer and less tiring - just the opposite.
Exactly!

Thanks @securespark as we‘re also in the market for a new (used) car but have yet to visit anywhere just looking online so far, trying to get something similar in size to our Meriva, still not narrowed down yet. I know what you mean about salespeople, I visited a used car place approx 20 years ago stated I wanted something bigger than my Renault Clio and preferably a diesel, he says “I’ve just the car for you” - shows me this diesel Clio ffs! Needless to say I walked.

Anyone know how Cazoo or Cinch work? How do you go an view a car, or don’t you?

Looking for an A3 atm for the Mrs because of ULEZ (thanks khant!).
Some dealerships describe their cars as immaculate and well looked after.
When I went to look at them they were scraps that should not pass an mot.
How the hell do they think they can sell such things is beyond me.

Reactions: CBW
Looking for an A3 atm for the Mrs because of ULEZ (thanks khant!).
Some dealerships describe their cars as immaculate and well looked after.
When I went to look at them they were scraps that should not pass an mot.
How the hell do they think they can sell such things is beyond me.
A quote often used in the 2nd hand car market.

There's a bum for every seat.

Sponsored Links
Back