Thinking About A New Car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Toying with the idea of a replacement for our Honda FRV.

Of course there are no new 6 seaters for sale anymore.

We like the width in the front of the FRV: a decent gap between us.

And we like the Honda's reliability.

I have had a brief look at the Hyundai Tucson, but I'm not sure (apart from the Kia Sportage, Hyundai own Kia) what cars are in the same class.

Still undecided what engine option to go for.

Explored Hyundai's option of 1.6 petrol - apparently it only does 38. Diesel would be better but they are seen as the spawn of the devil at the moment. I feel the Govt have gone over the top but that's a whole new thread!
There is a bewildering array of engine options these days:

Petrol
Diesel
Hybrid
Plug-in hybrid
Electric

Does anyone own a Tucson or a car in the same class?

What do you like about your SUV and why?

Sponsored Links
If you do short trips & low mileage, get a petrol.
Everything else, get electric.

All the others are a increasing waste of money.

Does anyone own a Tucson or a car in the same class?
One of my customers has one. It's a very nice car to drive, I was impressed with the quality of it. He will insist on calling it a Tookson though. :rolleyes:

MANHART-Carbon-Widebody-Kit-Audi-RSQ8-1.jpg

Wife's car...

Sponsored Links

Hmm. We do around 12K pa, with the mix as follows:
Around 50% short journeys
Around 25% medium journeys (50-100 miles)
Around 25% long journeys (100-400 miles)
We used to drive to France and do UK tours of up to 2500 miles in ten days, but we haven't done that for yonks.

Buy any Kia / Hyundai with confidence - they are excellent vehicles - but the 7 year warranty is a bit of a con.
Anyway, it's difficult what to recommend really in these peculiar times but I think the petrol self charging hybrid is the way to go for now.
Personally I think my next vehicle will be diesel again.....if everyone in my village went electric the sub station couldn't cope with the demand and I'm sure that won't be unique.
John :)

I have a Kia Niro self-charging hybrid. It will seat 5 adults comfortably and in the two years I have had it has averaged just under 50mpg over some 12,000 miles of mixed driving. This is my second Kia, the first was a Cee'd which I had for three years and covered some 18,000 miles.

I'd avoid the complexity of hybrids if it was me, they only really save on fuel on journeys that involve a fair bit of stop-start. I'd also only buy an Electric vehicle if I had no plans for long journeys with it. I still like diesels but I would also not buy a diesel that uses Adblue, again because of the issues associated with reliability. That puts most post 2017 diesels out of the equation from my point of view....

I'd avoid the complexity of hybrids if it was me, they only really save on fuel on journeys that involve a fair bit of stop-start. I'd also only buy an Electric vehicle if I had no plans for long journeys with it. I still like diesels but I would also not buy a diesel that uses Adblue, again because of the issues associated with reliability. That puts most post 2017 diesels out of the equation from my point of view....

Long journeys are perfectly fine in an electric car.

Hmm. We do around 12K pa, with the mix as follows:
Around 50% short journeys
Around 25% medium journeys (50-100 miles)
Around 25% long journeys (100-400 miles)
We used to drive to France and do UK tours of up to 2500 miles in ten days, but we haven't done that for yonks.

Electric seems perfect for you.

Long journeys are perfectly fine in an electric car.
I bought and then rather promptly sold a BMW i3 (it was a REX which I had to fill the tiny petrol tank every 2 days) for the simple reason that I cannot use it for my journey to and from work and I'm not stopping to charge during that journey.If I could have justified the cost, I would have loved to have kept it (for local journeys) because there is plenty to commend it (especially instant torque) but range and range anxiety and having to think about turning off my heater or driving very slowly means it was not practical for an 80 mile commute.
I fully expect battery technology to improve but most people want to use an EV in a similar way to their current dino fuel car, me included. Some of the newest electric cars might just about cope with my needs which are high speed early hours drive of motorway and unclassified roads, full use of aircon/heater etc but I will never spend more than around £13K on a car so it will be a few years before I make the switch (again).
I replaced with a BMW 320D Efficient Dynamics btw and the cost to fuel it is actually a lot cheaper given that I had to keep using the range extender on my I3. This is a car that will do over 60mpg even with the cruise set at 80mph and aircon on full tilt.
This car in Guy Martin's clip, is one that I would consider if my usage changes......

some electric cars already have over 250miles battery endurance, which for most people is ample.

no doubt batteries will get cheaper, lighter and more powerful.

I don't understand, short trips and low mileage are the perfect conditions for an EV. No excessive emissions while the engine is warming, no waiting for the engine to warm for the heater to work, no (local) emissions in towns. If I only had short journeys and low mileage trips I would definitely run an EV.

Sponsored Links
Back