Lad Has Decided On Which Car He Wants

Which? rate the Kia Ceed and Venga and its sister the Hyundai ix20.

Honda Jazz 08-15
Kia Ceed 12-18
Honda CR-V 12-18
Kia Venga 10-19
Hyundai ix20 10-19

Looked at Mazda 3. They seem to be a bit cheaply assembled, but I could be wrong.
Toyota Corolla seems OK.
From speaking to a few owners, the 7th Gen Honda Civic seems really well screwed together, but prices seem high for a 20+ yo car.

Most reliable brands 10-15yo

Lexus (discounted as they are out of budget)
Honda
Mazda
Toyota
Mitsubishi (discounted as there is no dealer back up)

The overriding thing I get from looking at Autotrader is that used cars are still silly money and affordable ones have stupid mileages of 150K+.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have anything else but a diesel, but we live out in the sticks and most of our journeys are fairly long and we rarely go to big towns or city's.. We also go to the north of Scotland and north Yorkshire every year and my C5 estate always does 60 mpg+ on the motorway. The 2.0.l Peugeot diesels are practically bomb proof, they are used in the Focus as well.

Peter

I'm wondering how long it would be before a Euro 6 Diesel car (which is currently Clean Air and Low Emission Zone exempt) is vehicle non grata.

I suspect not as long as most owners hope for. Even now, diesel is a lot more expensive than petrol - used to be cheaper than petrol. It’s only going to get taxed heavier. I'd never buy another diesel once our Golf has gone.

Sponsored Links
True but most diesels do substantially more MPG than a petrol, far more than enough to make up for the price difference and in my opinion they are nicer to drive with much more torque at low revs. Savings depend mainly on how many miles you do.

Peter

Back