Reliable Second Hand Japanese Car

A friend has an M plate Honda Civic (early 90's?) and it's brilliant.
She went abroad for 4 years and once a month I would drive it (semi illegally) down the country lane that she lived in. I popped over maybe every 2-4 weeks, started it, ate my lunch then ran the aircon cold and hot. Then a couple of short return loops on the lane. I ran the electric windows up and down.

When she came back we MOT'd it and the only item it failed on was the horn had rusted up.
Never thought to honk it on my visits.

I keep my cars almost 20 years each on average

Sponsored Links
more breakdowns per average car in the reliability surveys.

Sponsored Links
Honda jazz is a no no, they have issues with gearboxes. The cheap ones will have gearbox issues, there is upgraded parts available from honda and others but will probably cost what you paid for the car.

Toyota Yaris is pretty much bullet proof as is the older Toyota starlet, or for a slightly sporty choice the Toyota paseo is a good option.

All are cheap to buy and economical and cost very little to run and repair, and don't go wrong.

Anything much newer hold there price, or aren't that great.

Mazda 3 for something newer basically a MK2 focus, honda accords might be in budget and are reliable.

Was looking at the Corolla/ Auris.

Saw one in cracking condition with 250K on the clock.

Since I rated the Jazz, I have heard of a couple of my ex customers who have had issues with Jazz gearboxes.

A couple of s/h dealers I have spoken to rate the Hyundai i20 and Kia Rio.

Sponsored Links
Back