Replacing The SpaceStar?

This seems good for the money.

Hmm.

Looked into the MoT history and the first thing that hit me was that there is an outstanding recall. I would have the though the dealer would have sorted this, as it would be at Toyota's expense.

Also, over the last few years, there have been a lot of failures regarding the brake pipes, hoses and ferrules.

The Honda had no such advisories or replacements its whole life of 14 years and 175K.

Bit put off now! Maybe the recall is why it's not sold yet?

Sponsored Links
The recall wouldn't put me off.

But if you're interested in the car ask then why they haven't had the recall done. Of even, will they get it sorted before purchase

Because I am a dithering old fart, we missed that one. But I'm still looking at a choice of:

Toyota Auris

Kia Ceed

Hyundai i30

Going to ask the insurance company about a Vauxhall Astra K 1.0 Turbo ecoFlex to see what the insurance is like.

Don't know if that engine is a solid lump or not, though.

Because I am a dithering old fart, we missed that one. But I'm still looking at a choice of:

Toyota Auris

Kia Ceed

Hyundai i30

Going to ask the insurance company about a Vauxhall Astra K 1.0 Turbo ecoFlex to see what the insurance is like.

Don't know if that engine is a solid lump or not, though.
I'd avoid the astra personally. I'm not too keen on the ecoflex as it ages. But there are lots of good examples of them around.

The other 3, I like, but would put the auris as 3rd choice, but not for any specific reason. I just prefer hyundai and kia

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I think, within budget, it makes sense to go for the newer design.

But I've heard good things about the Toyota.

Having said that, Which? rate the Kia Ceed 2012-on model.

Well, we have looked at loads of cars. My lad does not like the Civic and the Jazz he says is too small.

We went to test drive a Ceed estate, which he really liked, but it was a poor example. We have found another in his price range, but as it's miles away, we are going to have an inspection carried out.

That's where we're at at the moment.

The motoring press seem to like that Gen of Ceed and they say parts are relatively cheap and easy to get hold of. The VED is only £35 and the chain-driven petrol engine is regarded as reliable and economical.

My Niece has mentioned that there have been big increase of keyless thefts this year, especially Kia and Hyundai, which was a bit of a worry as the car we're looking at is keyless. She said that insurance companie were loading up premiums and in some cases refusing insurance.

We rang the insco and got a very reasonable quote on the car, which is group 11E.

Might be time to invest in a couple of Faraday pouches, though.

Swerved one dodgy Kia Ceed. A late plate model at an unbelievable price that had an extra 1K lopped off the price.

Did as Rob and Chris would and ran a Car Vertical check... The mileage was well dodgy, having been clocked bigly.

When you look at the ad., it mentions an HPI check which looks impressive and reads good, but it says in small print something to the effect of "has not been checked for mileage anomalies".....

Thank God for Car Vertical!

Again here, am I missing something?

1703043269271.png

There was I thinking insurance groups 1-10 would be cheaper...

1703043685721.png

Honda is very good, even better than equivalent German (I only go for VW/Audi, so unbiased advice).
That's good. it would bother me if my van did have fripperies like traction control, ABS, airbags, etc, etc - though I do have AC (currently U/S at present). It all goes wrong in the end - but at least with AC it's optional if I fix it. Other stuff throws up a light and much grief/expense at MOT time.

Was sitting waiting for my MOT yesterday at a busy MOT station and garage (it was a pass (y):giggle: ). Several people were in and out to reception for warning lights for airbags, ABS, etc for more recent vehicles. One bloke collected his car and the person on reception told him that whatever warning light had been showing is now fixed. 10 mins later, he was back, saying the light was back on again, plus another new one. Total 'mare. Keep it simple!
The scrap I bought post ulez had an engine management light on.
2 garages were unable to find the fault.
I, a diy basic mechanic only able to do basic stuff, open the bonnet and found a coil cable that needed pushed properly onto the spark plug head.
Light gone and never returned.
These garages get paid and can't diagnose a simple fault.

Honda is very good, even better than equivalent German (I only go for VW/Audi, so unbiased advice).

The scrap I bought post ulez had an engine management light on.
2 garages were unable to find the fault.
I, a diy basic mechanic only able to do basic stuff, open the bonnet and found a coil cable that needed pushed properly onto the spark plug head.
Light gone and never returned.
These garages get paid and can't diagnose a simple fault.

That's the trouble. If the computer can't find it, it's down to old fashioned diagnostic skills. Skills that some seem to have lost - but even if they are capable it's a needle in a haystack with such complex vehicles.

Did as Rob and Chris would and ran a Car Vertical check... The mileage was well dodgy, having been clocked bigly.

When you look at the ad., it mentions an HPI check which looks impressive and reads good, but it says in small print something to the effect of "has not been checked for mileage anomalies".....

Thank God for Car Vertical!

Isn't checking the mileage history, simply a matter of checking the recorded mileages in the MOT history?

That's the trouble. If the computer can't find it, it's down to old fashioned diagnostic skills. Skills that some seem to have lost - but even if they are capable it's a needle in a haystack with such complex vehicles.
It's a 2004 focus.
Nothing space craft like.

Sponsored Links
Back