New Car

Several dealers told us the waiting times were at least 12 months, some more like 18 months.
I ordered a new car on 21st November 2021. (VW) It's supposed to be delivered next week. I hope it is as the old car was sold last night.

Sponsored Links
Many years ago, my parents bought every car they had over a 15 year period from the same salesman - even when he changed dealerships, and then when he changed brands, Rover to Ford.
One memorable time, he personally delivered our brand new L reg Mini Cooper and picked up our part-ex Metro - this was a round trip of around 60 miles.
Yes he was a salesman, but he also became a family friend.
Sadly he passed before his time, due to cancer.

I can't imagine becoming friends with the dealers I meet today. Although similarly for the car service, I will take it 20 miles to the small town dealer, rather than 5 miles to the big city one. The customer service experience is light years apart!

Last edited:
Near us is a garage established in 1920. It started off selling tractors to local farmers. Then in 1955, they became a Ford dealer. And they are still there on the same site still selling Fords.

Sidney Jackson.

I ordered a new car on 21st November 2021. (VW) It's supposed to be delivered next week. I hope it is as the old car was sold last night.
That's nuts.

We have our new car now. We waited a couple of weeks. The car is the model we decided on, the trim we wanted and the colour we chose.

There's no way I'd wait that long for a new car.

Sponsored Links
There's no way I'd wait that long for a new car.
Me neither, ordinarily, and I looked at several alternatives around the 8 or 9 months mark. But I got trapped into the deal. Car prices rocketed making my deal look cheap. I paid £33,200 - the book price now is £42k. Fortunately, the one that's just gone was a very good car - just 5 and a half years old instead of 4.

Back