Thinking About A New Car

I have just bought a convertible diesel to have some fun with in the summer to take the place of my triumph stag. Half a tank has seen 300 miles of mixed driving at a cost of less than £40 quid.

Dirty, smelly diesels, you cant beat em

About as relevant to the issue as one justifying the use of prostitution to avoid the need for marriage...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In truth, most people complaining about electric cars do so because they are complaining about change itself rather than anything which is relevant when taking all things into consideration.

In journalist road-tests I have read, one of the oft repeated - and strange to my ears - complaints, is that charging points are often out of order ( and have been for long periods ) but are listed as operational on the apps.

In journalist road-tests I have read, one of the oft repeated - and strange to my ears - complaints, is that charging points are often out of order ( and have been for long periods ) but are listed as operational on the apps.

Really, this is the only true -ve (if the ev shoe fits your usage foot) of EVs.

Public charging is a bit messy it seems although I've never had any issues with my cross country charging needs over here.

In the UK some reports are quite damning though.

You can easily get 3hrs per stint in a modern electric car at motorway speeds. Charging can take as long a cup of coffee and then you can be off for another 3hr blitz and so on and so forth.

Please could you inform us of this wonder car that will do 210 miles on a "cup of coffee" charge.
I, for one, would be intrigued to know.
Really intrigued.

Saying you can charge for 3 hours fast driving in 10 minutes ( time for a cup of coffee ) is downright dishonest.

Ignoring your dishonest preloading of the question....

Some basic maths:
Most EV's consume 15kw/100km.
Most charging stations have rapid chargers which can do up to 300kw/hr
Most EV's can accept 100-150KWh DC
Assuming Motorway speeds of 100km/hr.

3hrs@ 100km/h = 300 km,
300 km / 15kw/100kw = 45kw.

taking the mean, 45kw/125kw= 0.36h, or 21.6 mins for 3hrs of driving.

Now, i don't know about you, but, actually walking away from the parked car, preparing the coffee, queuing up to pay for it, probably going for a **** as well, then returning to the car and drinking the coffee whilst you take a breath usually takes much longer than 21.6 minutes.

Don't bother with an apology. You'll nit pick the figures to suit your own intransience and ignorance.

I'm still amazed that you'd be able to guarantee (a) finding a vacant charges when you arrive at the EV charging station, (b) finding that it's a compatible charger, (c) finding that the charge point works and finally (d) the vehicle itself would actually charge properly. I still think that we are a way off having an adequate charger network in the UK. Just saying...

Sponsored Links
Back