Tesla slashes prices to shift unwanted cars

I would imagine that a three year old EV will surely start depreciating quite heavily after three years due to the battery needing replacement over the next 5 years or so at a cost of £10k upwards.
Nissan clam there batteries will not need replacing, and other should llast at least 10 years. The prices are falling, and it is now possible to repair or replace individual cells.

Still not convinced, though, tbf

Sponsored Links
Nissan clam there batteries will not need replacing, and other should llast at least 10 years. The prices are falling, and it is now possible to repair or replace individual cells.

Still not convinced, though, tbf
Really ? I thought all cells were "welded" into one big lump, which would make that impossible.

No. The manufacturers will replace individual cells under warranty if they detect a fault with any of them, so it must be possible for a dealership (with suitable training) to do. It only takes one or two duff cells to drag the capacity of the whole battery pack down, as all the cells seem to only charge to the capacity of the duff one.

No. The manufacturers will replace individual cells under warranty if they detect a fault with any of them, so it must be possible for a dealership (with suitable training) to do. It only takes one or two duff cells to drag the capacity of the whole battery pack down, as all the cells seem to only charge to the capacity of the duff one.
Some batteries, Primarily Tesla (see here https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...am-of-the-tesla-4680-battery-pack-194775.html), have cells effectively glued in place, which makes repair trickier.

But most duff batteries can be refurbished. I expect there's some way to do the same with Tesla packs that just hasn't been published.

Leafs can be fixed or swapped out for new packs. You can now get new 40 or 62kWh batteries to upgrade your lower ranged old leaf if you wish. Oh and have £7-15,000

Sponsored Links
Leafs can be fixed or swapped out for new packs. You can now get new 40 or 62kWh batteries to upgrade your lower ranged old leaf if you wish. Oh and have £7-15,000
That's a awful lot of un-leaded for us mere mortals, even at the rate that my two go through it (y)

That's a awful lot of un-leaded for us mere mortals, even at the rate that my two go through it (y)
It is, they're still niche products so not much volume or competition for the third party ones to drive down prices.

And Nissan charge a fortune for official ones, probably because every battery they sell as a spare is another Leaf they can't sell.

But now we're finally seeing mass adoption of EVs and cheaper cells the battery price is falling nearly every year.

And if they keep improving, your replacement battery could be more powerful than the original. Or maybe lighter. Or both.

A video I saw on you Tube had a guy getting his battery replaced under warranty on his Tesla. He said they have an 8 year warranty, his was 7 1/2 years old and he was doubtful they'd honour it. They did. They fitted a remanufactured pack, and he said the cost if not under warranty would have been £22k. I think he had already had a new motor.

A video I saw on you Tube had a guy getting his battery replaced under warranty on his Tesla. He said they have an 8 year warranty, his was 7 1/2 years old and he was doubtful they'd honour it. They did. They fitted a remanufactured pack, and he said the cost if not under warranty would have been £22k. I think he had already had a new motor.
There are videos like that around, but the only thing I'd say there, is that the vast majority of 8 year old Teslas, still have their original batteries in them.

I wouldn't touch a Tesla even if i could afford one!

Well, they're not my cup of tea, but they are very good electric cars. I went for a BMW i4 in the end, but for similar money, I could have had a dual-motor Model 3, which would have been a bit quicker, and a bit more efficient. Certainly lighter, longer range and faster charging. However, the ridiculous dashboard and indifferent build quality (and that fact that it's not a hatchback) put me off - oh, and Musk's ego... :LOL:

I'm not a fan of Tesla cars at all.

I think they look hideous: bloated and shapeless and devoid of any prettiness.

But the things that put me off most are the build quality and reliability.

I think the Model S is a bonny enough car - if a little bland. It's the MPVs - the Models X and Y that look awful, I think. Reliability doesn't seem that bad these days. What I really can't stand, is the "minimalist" interior. Looks like a kitchen worktop with someone's iPad propped up against it!

A German has driven 1 700 000 km in eight years in his Tesla Model S P85 but says his next e-car won't be a Tesla.

He has had 13 motors replaced ( under eight-year warranty ) but says that nothing has been changed on the motors - no improvements - and there has never been any communication about what was wrong. Communication generally has been rubbish.

Other manufacturers have overtaken Tesla in range and made major improvements in charging-times and associated technologies.

Disappointed in Elon Musk. Thinks he has no interest in ecology ( multiple jet-flights), doesn't care about people (large number of firings of close collaborators ), never bothered to contact him about his "achievements " (apart from a "thumbs-up on Twitter for 1 000 000 km ).

No, the article doesn't mention how he clocks up these huge km .

Sponsored Links
Back