test a capacitor

Sponsored Links
You need a multi meter which can measure capacitance. Most simple meters only go up to 100MF I believe.
Is this a start cap from a single phase motor?

Yes you are right about the use of the cap,it of a surface planer.
my multi metre has 20 uF position is that any use .?
Cheers Ian

uf is mfd
micro farad
( think its lower case)

So 20 is too low

I think there is other ways to test and some are on youtube, whether they work I dont know

Sponsored Links
So 20 is too low
It is, if the OP is interested in measuring its capacitance. He could start by using the resistance range of his meter. It will initially indicate very low resistance, as the cap charges up, but should then gradually rise. If it remains low for a long time, even with the low voltage a multimeter, then he's very probably got a dead capacitor.

Kind Regards, John

What is actually happening with your planer?

This could help pinpoint if you are looking in the right area to solve the problem.

If it is refusing to start, even though there is an electrical supply to it, the capacitor is one of the first things to check.

I am trying to sort out a problem on the machine
It keeps tripping the main fuse on start up ,I was advised to check the cap by the seller Axminster.
Cheers Ian

Has it been ok on this supply? What is the rating of your 'fuse' it is tripping? Is it a fuse or a mcb?
Motors take a large inrush current which will trip a B type mcb, if this is what is tripping. A C type may solve your problem, but certain checks need to be done first to make sure it is safe to fit one.

The main breaker in my workshop trips and the main breaker in the fuse box before that also trips I think thats three phase 100 amp box
Cheers Ian

Can you take a photo of the items which trip and post it here?
Or if not can you see what markings are on it, it should say something like B20 or something similar.
What is the rating of the motor?

Hi Dave hows it going?

motor spec;240 V
current 5 A
H P 1
RPM 4500
The motor is quite big 6 1/4" Dia

The main RCCB in the workshop trips,
80 AMP
Tripping current 30mA

The main breaker further back down the line also trips;
RCCB 100 A 300 mA
18R 100/300/4

Cheers Ian

;)

A basic test worth doing with your multimeter,
Unplug the unit if it is on a plug and measure resistance at plug.
L to E
N to E
Though if the motor has a double pole starter you may get misleading readings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back