Test old ADT bell box and replace G3 panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have moved into house with an old ADT alarm that has not been used in 10+ years (had couple of what appear to be wireless PIR's in the house), the power is off to it. It has a classic yellow ADT alarm bell box with blue light as part of it. The panel instructions say Accenta/Optima G3 system although outside of the panel is nothing like seen in any pictures but guess because very old:

Box.JPG

We are renovating house and so are able to run cables to where we want PIRs (approx 4) so was tempted to replace unit with a Honeywell Accenta/Optima Gen4 panel 8EP396A-UK:

https://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/product-repository/8ep396a-uk

Don't need a separate key panel as main control panel will be in good place out of way.

I was hoping to keep the old ADT alarm box but wanted to test it but here is where a little knowledge is dangerous ! I have read there is some tamper tech in the alarm box which as been powered off for years is all idle. I was planning to disconnect the +ve and -ve from the control panel for the bell and connect to a 6v battery (don't have 12v) to see if get noise, what not sure of is what will happen if I then disconnect the wires if/when get a sound - will the tamper protection now have come live again and the removal of power be treated as signal to keep sounding - have read there is a 6v battery in bell box (can't imagine will have much life in it if any after all these years) ?

I was also then going to do same with strobe light. Will leave the two tamper wires connected to the control panel at all times.

Is this a valid approach ?

Is the panel looking at buying a good option for what I am up to and assuming if working be able to wire the existing ADT bell box into it ?

Many thanks

Loz

Sponsored Links
Wouldn’t fit an optima / accenta not very good and I think you need to take a look inside the ADT bell box first ....what’s the point of reconnecting something that may be 20 years old ?

I believe many of those ADT external alarm boxes are dummies. Mine certainly is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back