How to test ADT alarm box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have an old ADT installed alarm that hasn't been on in 10+ years been living in house, going to replace the panel but wandered if the ADT alarm box and wiring to the outside is still good as box still looks good and if doesn't need replacing then could save bit of money. Have attached wiring picture and seems there is a +ve and -ve for bell and also two wires for strobe, can't see a tamper wire that seen mentioned when googling.

If I wanted to test the bell box (I have a old 6v battery) how would I go about it - I tried connecting the +ve and -ve to battery but didn't sound - do I need to do something else (will double check battery has some life it it as well) ?

Many thanks,

Lawrence

Attachments

• AlarmWiring.JPG
    AlarmWiring.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
The green is 0v and white is tamer return ....if the panel is still powered ..removing the blue bell wire and touching it on the green wire terminal should make it ring ...

The green is 0v and white is tamer return ....if the panel is still powered ..removing the blue bell wire and touching it on the green wire terminal should make it ring ...

Many thanks for response, powered up panel, beeps continuously even if press in the tamper switch - hasn't been powered on in years and all of the wireless units now gone so probably panel is a weird state, took the blue wire number 10 (strobe) and touched it to the green wire 6 SCB and nothing happened - was that the correct thing to try ?

Many thanks,

Lawrence

Sponsored Links
Sorry ....remove the black wire and touch it on the green wire terminal ...

Cheer, tried that took black wire number 8 from bell and touched it to green number 6 SCB and nothing - could it be because panel is beeping away as not been on in years ?

Many thanks,

Lawrence

Could be multiple issue even down to the wires cut between the control panel and the main box ....what are you thinking of replacing the system with ?

Could be multiple issue even down to the wires cut between the control panel and the main box ....what are you thinking of replacing the system with ?

Probably just updated version of what is there : https://www.security.honeywell.com/uk/product-repository/8ep396a-uk
with an add on dialler https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DS6P...olid=3RSF8WTFDY1N4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Renovating so can easily wire in the PIR's, guess will have to wait and see with replacement box if alarm box still sounds, as you can probably tell not really sure what I am doing so will get someone else to install, just thought there might be an easy way of sending power to alarm box to get it to sound but can now see a bit more complicated than that and with panel not having been powered up in 10+years not helping !

Many thanks,

Lawrence

Mmm not a choice I would make ...and from what’s been said it’s being made obsolete...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back