How to wire an ADT bell box, pics included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ADT bell box and Honeywell G3 Alarm. The way it is wired up at the mo works kind if ok. If I go into the test test option and test bell it's works ok but also the strobe comes on and it sounds a bit like the bell is dying! But if I test the strobe nothing happens. Any idea's?

Sponsored Links
You have the strobe (green) in the relay output, but you have not connected anything to the common of the relay, connect a piece of cable from the 0v to the common, the next terminal to the green.
The other option is to move it to output 1012, this also defaults to strobe, in fact any other output can be used if you change the output programming.
It should be noted that technically the strobe should go though the relay as it potentially could draw higher current than the output can provide.

Remove the yellow cable from the BATT terminal on the siren. Connect the small black wire to the BATT terminal, this is the battery back up, this will also make the siren sound correctly.

The current regulations state that the strobe should follow the bell, so on these units the strobe flashes while you trigger the siren input (R-), the strobe input is used if you want to use it for another function, ie. confirm set = strobe flashes a couple of times.

Don't really know where regulations come into DiY but there ya go.

I think you'll find that the strobe has to now stop with the sounder, (15min)?

Don't really know where regulations come into DiY but there ya go.

I think you'll find that the strobe has to now stop with the sounder, (15min)?

I was merely pointing out the reason why the strobe flashes with the sounder is because the regs state strobe follows bell, these ADT sirens where built with that in mind and only needed the siren trigger.
Bell following strobe do not apply to DIY however is good practice, as it's in the regs for a reason.

Environmental regs still apply to 15min bell time, whether DIY or not.

Sponsored Links
Yep ! I agree with that. Had first hand experience with the powers that be, my externals are on continuous and they know about it, I informed them, but they can't do anything until I have external activation for longer than twenty minutes - and that has happened .... yet !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back