Tester in need of calibration ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

my Robin ins/continuity tester gives a reading of 0.86 when I touch my leads together , the range is set to 20Mohm which is the lowest range , the tester doesn't have a zero out facility so its a case of taking the reading and substracting the 0.86 , an example of a continuity reading on a lighting circuit for CPC is 1.12 so 0.26 which im told seems a bit high , does my meter sound like it need calibrating ?

Cheers

Ste

Sponsored Links
My robin meter has a black dial to zero it, but i think it only works on ohm range not megohms.
Can you post a pic of it, showing the face where the dials and buttons are

In my opinion all test equipment should be calibrated annually, or proven against a known source.
If your test equipment is out of cal it would give false results and possibly dangerous situations.

I used to be responsible for my company's test equip to ISO 9001.

John

Sponsored Links
Batteries were brand new when it was received , the fuse is OK I tested this with a multimeter, the test leads are the standard Robin leads that came with the meter.

Pic to follow (Rocky)

the model no will do, or even better a link to a pic on e bay or somewhere

Just a thought but have you tried shorting the lead terminals with a piece of heavy guage wire to eliminate the leads.
Incidentally I check my test gear monthly against a known good source and because I log the results I can see any deviation trend before it gets serious.
Once a year calibration is, in my opinion, not enough.

If you have the KTS1610 then this model does not have the lead null feature and you'll have to deduct the resistance of the leads from all resistance measurements. :cry:

You'd need the 1620 or above to get the null feature.

Its a right royal pain but mine (happily) had a very nasty accident. It doesnt like 230V up its chuff when set to continuity. It now makes a very nice doorstop.

I agree with the above. You should have a current calibration cert - and you must run self checks at least once a month to ensure the results are not drifting.

Hi

The model number is KMP3010 DL

The settings are 20 ohm 200 ohm and 2000ohm (I have been taught to always have it set to the lowest ohm range) , it does give a zero reading when set to 2000 but no reading once I do the test.

I will try some new batteries and if the same occurs I will have it looked at.

I have found that the resistance of my test leads has increased slightly over time - I guess coz they get bashed around and the swap over connections for croc clips/probes deteriorate.

How about trying a new set?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back