Testing low voltage lighting and fluorescent lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can not find the notes in my OSG so I need to find out where to do my tests?
Continuity, IR, polarity, earth loop on these two proposed lighting circuits. Would the ELV downlighter tests be done on cable before entering the transformers?
Would the fluorescent lights be done at cable ends before fitting unit?

Sponsored Links
What are the symptoms of the problem you need help in solving?

There are no problems just need to test circuits as part of an assessment, where I will need to show understanding of testing my own work.
Thanks

I'm sure that specific questions on the forum will yield some specific answers, but do you not have any books on testing that can help you with your learning and your practical tasks? :confused:

BTW, Trade Talk is probably a better forum for you to use for this.

Sponsored Links
A very basic testing book will tell you how to test lighting circuits.

You will see that you do the dead tests (continuity, IR, etc) with the lamps removed. For lamps you can read transformers & fluorescent fittings.

You will get wrong results if they are connected and, if you stick 500V DC up the circuit for you IR test you will kill the transformers...probably the fluorescents too.

So where do I take my test points on these two types of circuits? A transformer does not like 500v so it must be at the cable before connection to the low voltage branch.
Also there is no cpc running into the ELV halogens, so cpc continuity test is obsolete there.
Please clarify what you would do.

Mike2007 said:
So where do I take my test points on these two types of circuits? A transformer does not like 500v so it must be at the cable before connection to the low voltage branch.
Also there is no cpc running into the ELV halogens, so cpc continuity test is obsolete there.

I would:

Test IR (@500V) EFL and continuity on primary side with transformers disconnected (as obviously tranny will give 0 ohms phase neutral)
Test IR (@250V) and continuity on secondary side with transformers + Lamps/Flourescent disconnected
As you said you cant do EFL on secondary side.

Test at the cu but first remove florrys & elv trannys from the circuit, put chockblock on conductors IR test at 500v dc. Then test the tranny at 250v.

Do R1+R2 to the point where the T/E meets the tranny.

On the ELV trannys the cpc should be carried through to the last tranny in the chain. Thats where U do your R1 +R2 test.

Linking to what, only terminals for phase and neutral are available?

Does this apply equally to both make and female trannies?

Mike2007 said:

A terminal connector (chock block). The cpc should still be sleeved green/yellow and terminated.

Mike2007 said:

Decent quality transformers now have a terminal for the purpose. Its a pity if its not there as it means that the cpc has to be connected outside the transformer and (strictly speaking) all connections should be inside the enclosure.

Taylortwocities said:
Decent quality transformers now have a terminal for the purpose. Its a pity if its not there as it means that the cpc has to be connected outside the transformer and (strictly speaking) all connections should be inside the enclosure.

Even though this particular transformer and enclosure doesn't require a CPC?

Why not terminate into small 20A junction boxes then wire from each junction box to its transformer in two core flex?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back