3 cables to a single fluorescent light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Last night I decided to take down the fluorescent light I have in the kitchen and replace it with a nice set of spot lights (it was starting to blink again anyway).

On removing the light unit however I find three sets of multicore running into the unit rather than the one I had expected.

Additionally, the cooker hood (extractor fan and a tiny bulb) now don\\\'t work (they are located close to the fluorescent light).

Any ideas why I have three sets of cables running into the old fluorescent light? Is it as simple as it needing more power (all three appear to be on the same 5amp circuit).

Is the cooker hood unrelated and simply a red herring? (it was working immediately prior to the removal of the light) or could it be that the power for the hood some how was wired to pass through the light?

Cheers for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
see for reference how its wired. 3 wires is the norm. as for cooker extrctor, does the fan work? no - could be on light circuit. have you disconnected anything) yes - most likely unrelated to lights

When we re-fitted our kitchen about five years ago, we installed spots, a few months ago I took down the grease covered spots and installed flouresents, amazing how much brighter it is and less shadows cast as well, IMHO flouresents are the sensible choice for a kitchen, costs a third of what the spots did to run as well :)

@ OP, you'll regret changing it :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i have a 70W fluorescent light in my room. even tho its 1M below the ceiling up againt 1 wall, the room is still brighter than with the normal light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back