Fluorescent kitchen light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right just doing a bit of DIY (famous last words)

Putting up a little bit of plasterboard, a new kitchen cupboard and cooker hood. Done a little bit over the last 3 or 4 days (no rush). First I put up some batons for the board and then yesterday I drilled holes for the new cupboard and cooker hood.

Close to the cupboard is a Fluorescent light and so as not to damage it I took the nearly new tube out before commencing. Yesterday when I finished I put the tube back in and it didn't work. I tried a new starter and today I've put in a new switch (wired as per the old one) and finally a complete new unit. Still nothing. I tried testing the old unit and new one by putting a lead with a plug on direct to the terminals and then to a socket and they both work.

I am starting to think I may have drilled into a wire hidden in the wall? As far as I could see the only wire that was visible was for the cooker hood. I didn't get any sort of shock (thank goodness) and no fuses have blown and nothing has tripped in fact everything is working fine except the Fluorescent light in the kitchen?

Any thoughts or perhaps advice on those wire detectors (yes I know horse/bolt etc) as I've read some various negative reports on them?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Can you test for voltage at the fitting when switched on? Voltage tests requires a reference between Line/switch line and neutral, Line/switch line and earth, then neutral and earth. So a two pole/probe instrument is required, not a non-contact stick/pen or test screwdriver!
Have you also double checked that the tube pins are inserted correctly and making good contact.
If you have a fluorescence fitting, other than the starter switch and tube, the other component that could be faulty is the ballast.

Have you also double checked that the tube pins are inserted correctly and making good contact.
If you have a fluorescence fitting, other than the starter switch and tube, the other component that could be faulty is the ballast.

He has tried the fitting with a lead and plug and it works.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back