testing pipes for flow

S

snadge

is there any other way to test the flow of the pump in a central heating system other than joining the pipes together and running the C/H and feeling which pipe gets hot first?

What I have done is removed a rad and capped of the pipes, for the new rad I need to know the flow direction so I can put the "IN" pipe on the opposite side to the bleed valve - I didnt think to test the old rad before I moved it by feeling at bottom corners for heat when turning on C/H..

EDIT: the Instructions for the new rad state that its very important that the intake valve be on the opposite side of the bleed valve

I guess the only way I can do it is by joining the pipes and turning on C/H and feeling which heats up first.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I need to know the flow direction so I can put the "IN" pipe on the opposite side to the bleed valve

Why?............if your that concerned hang the rad with a slight uphill gradient toward vent pin..........only messing. :D

Don't worry about it.

As said don't worry.
But if your going to loose sleep over it you can swop the bleed/plug over when the rads been fitted and up n running.

thanks for the replies

1) I cant swap plugs as it only has one hole for it on one side (its a tall vertical rad aswell)

2) the instructions specifically say its very important that the IN valve be on the opposite side to the bleed valve and that not doing so can prevent it from working properly.

so too keep in-line with the installation instructions I need to do it,

why wouldnt it matter? it would seem to make sense to do it that way for maximum bleeding of air? or am I wrong? :)

Sponsored Links
Do'nt worry be happy!!!! cos you can put the "IN" pipe both sides, (oooohh matron :D ).

Do'nt worry be happy!!!! cos you can put the "IN" pipe both sides, (oooohh matron :D ).

not according to the rad installation instructions I cant

Like I said in previous post the instructions say its very important that the inlet valve be opposite to the bleed valve side

Is this rad one made of columns?

Some designs have an internal diffuser to force water through all the columns. That is why you need the flow to be on the correct side.

Some designs are so stupid that they don't even mention this on the instructions AND there is no obvious top or bottom.

yes it is made of 12 columns , 6 at front and 6 at back, its about 6.5ft tall

I was just looking at instructions again and it was all in bold with IMPORTANT and MUST underlined and bold... so it must be like you say...

so in answer: is the only way to test too join the pipes, fill system, turn on C/H and feel which pipe heats up first?

Yes , it`s the only way - but you can do it with some plastic ( barrier) pipe and push fit fittings - which can be re used on the heating system somewhere else if needed :idea:

These type of rads are designed so the incomming water is directed up just the first two or so columns.

Put the flow in the wrong side and you will find the centre of the rad will never get hot.

Just connect it up.

If you ain't lucky drain it down and alter the pipes.

You have a 50/50 chance so good odds. :LOL:

the capped pipes did not get warm

I have connected/joined the pipes up but the amount of pipe is small and they both heat up about the same so its hard to determine which way the water is going...

I was thinking of just throwing loads of towels down and unconnecting the joint pipes and see which way it comes out... but then I would have do it while the C/H is on pumping the water around...wouldnt I? as the system full under pressure and pump not on it could come out either way.. whichever pipe has most pressure... the pump could be pushing it the opposite way.. so the only way is to remove the join whilst C/H is on and see which way the water comes out... is this right?

I dunno if I would like to risk setting it all up regardless and just testing... the instructions say in bold underlined letters "its very important the flow goes in one way..>" blah blah.. how would I know its working or not..?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back