testing pipes for flow

When I said " some " plastic pipe - I was thinking a 3 metre length laid on the floor between the rad pipes ;)

Sponsored Links
the capped pipes did not get warm

I have connected/joined the pipes up but the amount of pipe is small and they both heat up about the same so its hard to determine which way the water is going...

I was thinking of just throwing loads of towels down and unconnecting the joint pipes and see which way it comes out... but then I would have do it while the C/H is on pumping the water around...wouldnt I? as the system full under pressure and pump not on it could come out either way.. whichever pipe has most pressure... the pump could be pushing it the opposite way.. so the only way is to remove the join whilst C/H is on and see which way the water comes out... is this right?

I dunno if I would like to risk setting it all up regardless and just testing... the instructions say in bold underlined letters "its very important the flow goes in one way..>" blah blah.. how would I know its working or not..?

The water will come out both end whether the boiler/pump is on or not, hopefully it's a wind up.

I dunno about throwing down loads of towels - The OP should throw in the towel :mrgreen:

no its not a wind up lol... I would have thought that the pump only pumps in one direction, water will come out both ends but its gunna be under more pressure from the direction of the flow/pump ...isnt it? I dont mean "sit there and let all the water empty out onto towels/bucket..." sheesh.. I mean just a quick look and cap it back off as soon as I see (seconds), no need to take the ****, Im not a plumber... but install radiators I can do, just I had already taken the old one off and got rid before she got this one.

I did not have any plastic pipe, i just used some of the old pipe work (of which was very little)

well how do ascertain which is which then? jst hook it up and hope for the best? (as has been suggested) doesnt sound very good too me.

so the only way is to buy loads of pipe to create a longer run between the two pipes? then I will have to do that then.

I dunno about throwing down loads of towels - The OP should throw in the towel :mrgreen:

not very helpfull - if yer gunna take the **** do it on someone else's threads please and not mine.

Sponsored Links
It really is very easy!

Turn off all rad valves.

Dis boiler and connect hose to tapand to pump output. pressurise pipe a little then turn on each valve at vert rad position and see which one the wzter and air comes from'

Tony

A HTG pump is not actually a pump. :eek:

It's a circulator.

Look for a pattern, some plumber's always put the flow on the same side, others put the flow away from the corner etc,

3m. of speedfit from B+Q plus 2 compression elbows - remove one nut+ olive from each elbow then connect to the rad pipe tails - the nuts/ olives from the valves will be the same . a liner in each end of the speedfit pipe and fit into elbows- tighten nuts . No more than £12 and you can re use the fittings/ pipe again :idea:

put the heating on and your capped pipe will get warm due to heat transfer

crampe.gif

What I have done is removed a rad and capped of the pipes, for the new rad I need to know the flow direction so I can put the "IN" pipe on the opposite side to the bleed valve - I didnt think to test the old rad before I moved it by feeling at bottom corners for heat when turning on C/H..

you could always temporarily reconnect your old rad if you still have it, fill/vent it then then do what you forgot to do in the first place

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back