Testing procedures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, all.
I'm a kitchen fitter.. from the north-east.
I am just about to go on the part p course and i would like to learn abit about whats involved before i go...
Ive been reading though the wiki section, but the stuff i want isnt there.. like the procedures for continuity testing, rinal ring testing etc...etc. does anyone know were i can find such infomation?... pictures would be a great help. I know that it will all be covered on the cource but a week dusn't seem like a long enough to take it all in.

also, i've managed to get hold of a robin kts 1630, 10-in-1 tester, i'm sure this will do all thats required, but could someone please confirm this?

thanks.
mick.

Sponsored Links
Get yourself the IEE Guidance Note 3 and/or the On Site Guide

Why do you say you're from the NE and your profile says Mid Glamorgan? ;)

ricicle said:
Get yourself the IEE Guidance Note 3 and/or the On Site Guide

Why do you say you're from the NE and your profile says Mid Glamorgan? ;)

:) selected wrong location in the list :oops:

and the search begins for IEE Guidance Note 3

mick.

You will mainly need the on-site guide.

Read it from front to back.

Sponsored Links
mst said:
You will mainly need the on-site guide.

Read it from front to back.

Read pp 62-82 for testing.

Then go to the back and start on the pictorial indexes - most sparks don't even know they exist.

Read Appendix 6 from begining to end.

got my on-site guide today, :D
all clear as mud now... just got the remember it all now.

done a few tests at home, as you do :LOL: ... and the rcd disconection time was 52.5ms at 5x... now in the book it says a maximum disconnection time of 40ms, unless the protective conducter potential rises no more then 50v.
how do i measure this rise? i've been though the book twice and cant find it,...

i hope this isnt a stupid question :oops:

cheers
mick.

If an RCD provided for supplementary protection does not trip within 40mS at 5/\n then it has failed. I think you are getting mixed up, the test instrument should not introduce trip current on this range in excess of 40mS, unless the protective conductor potential rises by less than 50v.

Thanks for the prompt reply...

i did get it wrong, done test again and got:

52.1ms @ 1/\n
30.3ms @ 5/\n

however, you say the tester should not introduce trip current on this range in excess of 40mS, unless the protective conductor potential rises by less than 50v

so just to clarify things... does this mean that if the tester introduces a trip current and the result is above 40ms then thats still a pass as the conductor potential has risen no more than 50v?.

thanks.

Hi Mick,

What Spark123 means is that any instrument carrying out a test at 5I must not apply a testing current for more than 40ms, unless it ensures that the protective conductor potential rises by less than 50V.

In most cases this just means that the tester will stop after 40ms and give a reading of >40ms, which always means that the RCD has failed.

Hope that clears it up?

Gavin

ps. This refers to a 30ma RCD used to provide supplementary protection btw, not time delayed RCDs or similar found on TT supplies

Yeah, thats what I meant :D .
It is just a parameter for the test equipment to work to.
You only need to do 5I/\n for devices provided for supplementary protection against direct contact, i.e. standard 30mA RCDs and below.
Websites been on/off all night, wonder if it's the big change over?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back