Testing that the controller is live and working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What reading 16 ? 16 volts ?
I believe so. With setting on 600 AC on multimeter it said 16.

However, . I just tested it again (30 mins later) and now there's no current there despite the controller being on. New controller or loose connection in controller?

Sponsored Links
Is the meter set correctly now? And the black lead is in COM and red lead on the right outlet, is this correct? Is the red lead in the correct place?

I think the controller might not be working. Using a voltage pen the inputting lead makes the pen light up but not output one. Where do i put probes on multi meter to check this inside controller to confirm ? View attachment 219402
View this attachment. Is this the setting you used on your multimeter ?

View this attachment. Is this the setting you used on your multimeter ?

Did this in picture (output wire)and reading of 240 so guess controller is ok. No reading on emersion where u told me to put probes this time although before it was 16
20210121_210910.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you are getting that reading NOW ,and are not getting 240 v at the live and neutral ( brown and blue ,the other end of that cable ) at the immersion end ,then there must be a break in the cable ,or you are not measuring properly.

If you are getting that reading NOW ,and are not getting 240 v at the live and neutral ( brown and blue ,the other end of that cable ) at the immersion end ,then there must be a break in the cable ,or you are not measuring properly.
Could the wires in the controller not be screwed in tightly enough? The wire seems too thick to get easily into the screw connectors on controller. I was battling before to push them in

As long as some of the wires are clamped by the terminal screw ,you would get 230/240 volts at the immersion heater.
But of course you will need to re make the connections properly into their terminals.

As long as some of the wires are clamped by the terminal screw ,you would get 230/240 volts at the immersion heater.
But of course you will need to re make the connections properly into their terminals.

Might try a new piece of wire which slots in easier to controller then rewire it to emersion.

Might try a new piece of wire which slots in easier to controller then rewire it to emersion.

Be careful, it needs to be three core and rated for 3kw/ 13amps. Heat resistant cable is usually used into the element.

[EDIT] 23amps corrected to 13amps.

Last edited:
Well it's working. Got the best cable ( can tolerate the most load) I specified the 3kw 13A capacity from electric shop. Can you just check my wiring on the immersion. The earth was awkward as it was wrapped around a bolt and nut holds it in place. It may touch the outer cover. Is this dangerous? I dont believe it is but just confirm, this is electricity I'm dealing with. If earth was to come loose, what are the consequences?

The live cable is in the thermostat however some exposed wire can be seen, does this need pushing in completely?

20210122_112559.jpg
20210122_111822.jpg
20210122_112155.jpg

You need to re do the connection of the brown ,live, conductor into the thermostat . All of the copper conductors should be inside the terminal ,and only the insulation showing outside.
The earth connection ,again ,needs to be re connected so the wires are not splayed out .
At the timer ,the cable restraint (clamp ) is missing and must be re fitted to clamp the outer sheath of the cable. Likewise on the other clamp on the other cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back