Testing that the controller is live and working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Just curious ,how have you fitted the thermocouple inside the tank ?

I've replaced the elbow on the hot water exit pipe from the top of the cylinder with a 22 x 22 x 15 tee.

Into the 15mm end (which is now vertical) I've fitted a 15mm to 1/8" FBSP reducer.

Into this reducer is fitted a standard 3mm x 1/8" BSP thermouple compression fitting and into this is a 300mm long stainless steel thermocouple.

The sensing tip is set about 150mm down from the top of the dome of the cylinder, but still away from the immersion heater element.

(Edit: I mean 1/8" BSP not 1/4")

Last edited:
A note about that particular thermostat ... the over temp cut-out can't be reset until the thermostat is COLD. I thought I'd found the problem when I found the over temp cutout tripped & it wouldn't reset (tank is also heated by the central heating). I removed the thermostat ready to replace with another & decided to have one more go before I threw it away ... it reset.

The thermostat has been replaced, twice, so it isn't just a bad 'stat (although it could be a batch problem).

I wonder if your boiler is taking the water over temperature?

Just curious ,how have you fitted the thermocouple inside the tank ?

No idea. Only replaced controller and thermostat until now. Not sure what a thermocouple is. This malarkey is all new to me. You helped me on the phone with checking my thermostat was faulty about two months ago.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Keitai ,the post about thermocouple has nothing to do with your set up .
Have you not tested the voltages at the immersions thermostat yet ?

Keitai ,the post about thermocouple has nothing to do with your set up .
Have you not tested the voltages at the immersions thermostat yet ?

No I haven't.

Is this done by setting multi meter to 600 ac as in previous picture on this thread then putting probes as in this picture (purple arrows- probes on thermostat's screws)? -
20210121_191826.jpg

Using the multi meter on voltage setting (as in photo) dont you put the probes on positive and negative terminals to check it's live? Do you put them on the screws which hold wires in place (as in picture)to check? Trying to find out if the controller is live and also if it's working

Your above photo is so over size, I am unable to reply directly to it, but...

Yes on the 600volt range as before, black probe on top right terminal marked in the casting as 'N', red probe on the right thermostat terminal you marked with a blue arrow. With power on you should see around 240v on the meter..

Moving the probe to the left thermostat terminal, if you see 0v then it is not getting through the thermostat - which means it has tripped or is faulty. Try resetting it by poking the grey button in, maybe with you meter robe tip.

Yes to multimeter set to AC 600 volt range.
Black probe to the terminal on right side of pic,red arrow, ( this has the blue wire connected to it ) ,and red probe to left , red arrow,terminal with the white wire connected to it.
You should get 230/240 volts.
If you don't ,leave the black probe on the terminal quoted above ,and put the red probe on one of the terminals with blue arrow pointing to it ,the right hand one. you should get 230/240 volts there .

Yes to multimeter set to AC 600 volt range.
Black probe to the terminal on right side of pic,red arrow, ( this has the blue wire connected to it ) ,and red probe to left , red arrow,terminal with the white wire connected to it.
You should get 230/240 volts.
If you don't ,leave the black probe on the terminal quoted above ,and put the red probe on one of the terminals with blue arrow pointing to it ,the right hand one. you should get 230/240 volts there .

Did all that and got a reading - 16 on multi meter. I guess the emersion is working? The water is not heating up though!

The thermostat worked on continuity as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back