Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Did a IR test on my CU. On my N/E all results were good (>1000) except for kitchen (42.9) lights (44.7) boiler (45.3) shower ( 44.6).

I know they all pass but as a lower reading would this indicate age deterioration? Property is nearly 20 years old.

Your thoughts please

Sponsored Links
Did you leave the shower and Boiler connected when you did the testing ?

If you did then that would explain why you got low readings, in fact with them connected they are not bad.

Did you test the installation or just individual circuits ? If you did the whole installation it is recommended to test with the L/N joined together between Earth. If it was individual circuits then ok.

The lighting circuit did you remove all the lamps ? as you tested between E/N then dimmers would not effect the result. Though if you had a PIR fitted somewhere that would effect it.

What you should do is un plug the boiler or switch off from the FCU. Isolate the shower from the DP switch. Remove all the lamps and by pass dimmers and PIR. Take another IR test and make sure the switches are closed, and you test 2 way switches by operating them. This will test the strappers.

Also this is quite a god book to have for testing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-I...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283370544&sr=1-1

Finally those resutls are really ok. The recommended result is anything above 1Mohm and only need checking if it is below 2Mohm. As your were all over 40Mohm I wouldn't worry too much. Just note it recommend another inspection in perhaps a yr if your worried.

Cheers Mal. Yeah the shower and boiler stayed connected. Lights came out but their is a transformer in the lights and kitchen ring had a washing machine I couldn't remove. All limitations noted in the EIC. :)

Cheers Mal. Yeah the shower and boiler stayed connected. Lights came out but their is a transformer in the lights and kitchen ring had a washing machine I couldn't remove. All limitations noted in the EIC. :)

Sponsored Links
Ask away that is really the only way to learn.

Would recommend that book Chris is quite good and it uses English rather than something lawyers use.

If you just starting to test keep safe and make sure think twice and act once.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back