Texecom Odyssey bell box tamper - silence by entering code?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I have a technical question. If a bell box - Odyssey - goes into a 'tamper' state in an 'unset' state, should the the alarm controller - VR8 - be able stop the sounder by entering the user code?

I've fitted various alarms over the years, but this one doesn't seem to be able to rest this fault condition. The only thing that stops the sounder is pressing the tamper rocker switch.

I am wondering if there is a link that can be moved to allow this, or a setting in the programming set up. I cannot see anything obvious.

I am concerned how it would be reset if the wind caught it and the cover came off without having to start climbing ladders! Clearly it won't be now, but a future call.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Tampers are active 24hrs.
Microswitches on bell boxes should be adjusted at installation to allow for expansion from heat or wind deflection. Not just taken out box and screwed to wall.
Different manufacturers have different installation setup when fitting.
If the Microswitch is open then the bell cut off timer will come into play and will sound for that cut off time and not be able to silence from keypad.
Can also depend on control panel manufacturer.

Cheers for that. I'm certain the old assenta, and associated bell box, were able to mute bell box tampers.

Thanks again for the reply.

Sponsored Links
No. It's fitted sound. That's not what I'm asking.

I'm saying IF it sounds, should the user code shut it off?

I lifted the lid to install the battery link and put the code in to shut the sounder off. It didn't work. And, yes, I know there is a hold off function.

Doing it this was raised the question.

The user code would normally silence the alarm system, however if the tamper is still active it will immediately reactivate at least internally. externally it should time out until the tamper switch is activated ie closed and opened and it all starts again.

The bell box itself from what you have describe
The only thing that stops the sounder is pressing the tamper rocker switch.
suggests its not fitted correctly, the switch clicks off as its pushed in and clicks on as its released, unless its maintained in the pushed in position the tamper will be active and the bell will sound. internally you can prevent it ringing by linking at the tamper to zero volts so the panel does not see the bell tamper.

The manual should cover about making the adjustments for the tamper mechanism of the bell.
as has already been said you need to make sure the tampers are closed when the cover is fitted and can not reopen unless its tampered and not just expanding and contracting due the weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back