Texecom RF Jamming Detected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've recently installed a wired Texecom Premier alarm with the Smartcom app, that's all working perfectly. Have now added an 8XP-W expander as I want to add detectors to some outbuildings and since that's been added I'm getting the occasional RF Jamming alert on my phone from the smartcom app, nothing comes up on the RKP and no faults are displayed.

After googling the message it seems they are likely related to nearby wireless heating thermostats and other wireless devices in the same RF range as the Texecom gear. I don't see how I can do anything about this interference and as I am yet to learn any detectors to the system will this likely be an issue and would it cause any false alarms or tamper alerts?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Dan

Attachments

• rfjam.jpg
    rfjam.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 441
Sponsored Links
Hmm, it may not be what you think from what you have said.

as it would be in the log.

I would look at defaulting the reporting codes first.

@secureiam - Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in responding, I didn't receive an email to say there had been a reply to my thread.

I've had a look into what you suggested but not too sure what you mean sorry, are you able to elaborate any further? All the log says is 'RF Jam Detected' and then it reports 'RF Jam Cleared'.

@secureiam - Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in responding, I didn't receive an email to say there had been a reply to my thread.

I've had a look into what you suggested but not too sure what you mean sorry, are you able to elaborate any further? All the log says is 'RF Jam Detected' and then it reports 'RF Jam Cleared'.

Hi, I’ve recently had this issue too. I’m struggling to see where the logs are. Could you please let me know how to find them?
I don’t see anything on the Texecom app (calendar section) and nothing in the Keypad console’s “act fault” section. Only says “There are no zones to show”

I’m also particularly concerned about the slowness of the keypad console which is wireless, using RF I believe. If it’s being jammed, could that mean they’re able to snoop on my passcode entry, and even prevent me from turning off the alarm when I get home??

TIA!

Sponsored Links
If it’s being jammed, could that mean they’re able to snoop on my passcode entry, and even prevent me from turning off the alarm when I get home??

Is it being jammed or blocked. Is it normal or malicious ?

Blocking ( of the wireless signal ) is when another transmitter is using the channel and thus preventing a receiver in your system from hearing messages sent from your system. This can happen as many systems share the same channel. Systems are supposed to be able to work when there is intemittant blocking, normally this is achieved by waiting till the channel is clear and then repeating any messages that were lost by blocking.

Jamming is intentional blocking to prevent the system operating correctly and lasts for long periods of time such that repeating of lost messages canot happen.

Hacking is sending false messages which the system sees as genuine messages and thus the system acts on these messages. This can result in the system being set, unset or otherwise altered by the hacker, the sytem may also be tricked into transmitting information to the hacker.

If you default the reporting codes, then they will correctly assign the correct event to the issue.

Then if you are continuing to get jamming its due to something operating around the same frequency, which could be any wireless device on 868 in the UK, heating, street lights etc etc

finding the source can be difficult, if you cant find the source of the jamming you may want to look at systems that can hop between different frequencies.

Whilst Texecom cant hop between frequencies it is possible to delete the devices off and relearn the devices on a slightly different frequency although I wouldn't say that's not an easy process.

Just checking in to say thanks for the replies and updating what’s happened since.
After that flurry of “RF jam detected” messages, it stopped. I’ll just have to chalk it up as someone driving by with some device that just happened to use that same frequency. Apparently taxis communicate on similar wavelengths so that might have caused it, if someone nearby called a taxi to pickup and had them waiting for 30mins...
I also called the security company who installed the Texecom system. They agreed that there really nothing that can be done, nor any way to detect where it’s coming from.
So far no recurrence so fingers crossed it’s really a one-off!

I doubt it be Taxis, unfortunately Texecom dont have frequency hoping on there wireless devices, only a few manufacturers currently offer it.

I doubt it be Taxis, unfortunately Texecom dont have frequency hoping on there wireless devices, only a few manufacturers currently offer it.
That would be an interesting feature. Can you share what brands have that? Cheers

Taxi radios are a long way from the band used by Texecom. It's most unlikely that one would affect the alarm.

Cellphone frequencies are very much closer, but I never succeeded in jamming my alarm with a phone when I tried it as a test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back