Texecom SmartCom 4G Dual Path SmartCom - registered installers only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was just looking at this for a new install for my parents, and I noticed that it has following, grim pronouncement at the bottom:

Please Note: The Texecom SmartCom 4G is only for registered Texecom installers​

This doesn't seem the case for the pure ethernet / wifi SmartCom, which I've used before.

Is there any specifically different about this, or is this just a bit of alarmist (sorry!) nonsense from this retailer?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Just select single path version
Yeah, but in this case (rural location, shonky internet), it might be useful to have a 4G backup path...

Looks like it's an eSim device, so I'm speculating that this restriction is to do with the activation and billing of the eSim account, which presumably is done directly through Texecom themselves, hence the requirement. Have I got this right?

4G single path will be using 4g only ….dual path will be on the same cost level as dual com / red care ect …so not cost effective for diy end users …

Sponsored Links
4G single path will be using 4g only ….dual path will be on the same cost level as dual com / red care ect …so not cost effective for diy end users …
Now I'm confused. Surely, it's just a transport failover - use ethernet/wifi if available, failing to 4G if it's not, but the end service from Texecom is unaffected. After all, at the end of the day, it's just an IP connection from the SmartCom back to their servers to let them know something has happened.

I think I might need to go and do a bit of RTFM here and stop asking daft questions!

Thanks, had a rummage around - looks like the 4G dual path is £40/yr (including airtime) which is actually quite reasonable. Not sure if it's what they want, so will leave it in their hands. I suspect they'll stick with the free option instead!

Thanks for the help and pointers.

There are two options single path which is 4G on the smart com, and think the airtime subscription is more than dual path which is effectively uses WiFi or Ethernet connection and if fails go to 4g.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back