Texecom - Veritas Alarm - power questions and tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had a Veritas alarm installed and wonder if you could help me with a couple of questions please? (It's the one with the control panel in the hall way and the mains box next to my consumer unit)

I was wondering, what happens if the power is disconnected, does the external strobe/bell box have a battery in it like the control box that has been installed and will it then sound the alarm when the power is cut?

(I've been reading on here and some threads are saying it does if the battery is dead, It's brand new and just installed today)

I had it professionally installed but I never thought about asking them about this.

If I want to do some work in my new house and disconnect the power to work on sockets/lights etc. then is there any way to stop the alarm from triggering? I'm worried now that I won't be able to disconnect the power without the alarm sounding or does the internal batteries keep it functioning until the power is restored.

I'd hate to have it trigger when I disconnect the power.

The instruction manual doesn't even mention it any where about "power cuts" and stuff.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Know also that the Sounder unit has a capacitor in it so you cannot silence an "errant" alarm simply by disconnecting the 12V battery in the control panel.

Thanks for that, So, how long do you get on the battery...?

I'm all new to the alarm side of things so sorry for the dumb questions.

Why do I see people saying that there alarm has sounded on a "power cut" is that what happens when the batteries are dead?

The engineer told me that it would not trigger if I have pets....Sounds daft but would it trigger when my window cleaner is working on the outside, just some of my sensors are pointing towards the windows in the house..

I've just been reading the instructions and can see that you can part set the alarm so that some of the sensors won't be included.... I'll have a go over the weekend.

Guess that means that I can use "part set" once programmed.

I need to do some reading up on the PIR sensors, all changed since I was a youngster, advances in technology have came on leaps and bounds.

Sponsored Links
Know also that the Sounder unit has a capacitor in it so you cannot silence an "errant" alarm simply by disconnecting the 12V battery in the control panel.

A nicad or Nihm battery is installed in the bell box ! ( if it's done right )
The alarms that ring in a power cut , probably have faulty back up batteries which for some reason customers seem to think they last for ever !
:eek:

I take it they didn't show you how to part set the system ?

Thanks,

nope, they never showed me.

Guess I can have a play with it sometime over the next few days as long as I don't set it off.... :confused:

Is there a way to increase/decrease the entry/exit time? or even disable the internal siren, it's a little bit noisy...

Well I would get them back sounds like they did half a job! All of the above need to be reprogrammed by the engineer...

As already said, get them back and ask them to talk you through it and to program it to you requirements, it will only take them minutes.

The timer on the E/E zone can be changed, also the tone on part set should be quieter than full set, on most Veritas panels you can program "one button set"

As for the battery being changed, 4 - 5 years seems the norm, but I always change them every 3 years . As you will read on here, a lot of the problems with alarm systems stem from duff batteries.

Thanks for all your help.

Why don't they allow the "user" to be able to change the E/E time and set the "part set" etc. instead of getting an engineer out to do all these settings. ?

Just wondering as since it's my equipment then I'd like to be in full control of it and adjust the settings/program it as desired.

Is it possible to get the "programming code" and do it all from the control panel?

Thanks

The reason is..... You have paid someone to fit and program the system for you, if you alter the alarm settings and get it wrong ,have a break in and the alarm does not work .... What happens ? Get them back .....

ah I see, OK thanks again for being patient with me and the answers etc.

Guess that's why they "turned around" when they asked me to input my new pass code into the system.

Just used to being in full control of the hardware/systems that I have, and knowing that they have a "master" key code and me being a "user" is a little different from what I've been used to in the past.

Just used to being in full control of the hardware/systems that I have, and knowing that they have a "master" key code and me being a "user" is a little different from what I've been used to in the past.

You have every right to have full control over the system, it's yours after all.

By not divulging that information to you then your options for servicing etc become limited to the original supplier/installer.

Just ask for the master/engineer codes.

No master code on a veritas only an engineer code...if you want the engineer code I would guess all warranty goes out of the window!

You have every right to have full control over the system, it's yours after all.

By not divulging that information to you then your options for servicing etc become limited to the original supplier/installer.

Just ask for the master/engineer codes.

Read sparky's 7:28pm answer.

A professional alarm installer will never give the engineer code apart from letting himself be open to problem when the 'house/shop owner etc 'has a play' with the system and messes it all up, we are governed by EN standards to which we have to follow, amongst other things, no engineer codes or engineer manuals etc. to the subscriber either.

Don't like it, DiY.

Boom boom, nuff said.

No master code on a veritas only an engineer code...if you want the engineer code I would guess all warranty goes out of the window!

The engineer code is 4321. You bought the system which includes manuals and code is in the manual. Your choice if you wanna "play".

Also the PIR's pointing at the windows won't go off, when alarm is set, by people Walking past outside. If so people who live on main roads would have there alarms going off all the time.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back